Couple Q's About Top Install

Zackqb2

May 13, 2009
Kentucky
OK. I am looking to purchase a new top for my car. And I was wondering how hard is the install and is their any special tools that I will need to replace it. I have a glass window in my top now, would it be better to just get a top without a window and just replace it with the one that I have.

• Sponsors (?)

There are 3 main components to the top:
-headliner
-rear window assembly

Only buy what you actually need to replace and keep in mind that the rear window assembly tends to fail and leak so replace it if you think it is even close to needing it.

Some vendors offer an instructional DVD on replacing the top also.

One thing you will have to buy is special stainless steel staples they are pricey IIRC $50 per box.

You will also have to decide if you are going to do cloth or vinyl, each has their good and bad points. Cloth looks better but vinyl is cheaper and easier to clean and maintain.

If you are going to be ordering offline, only go through LMR and their Electron Tops. They are relatively inexpensive and you get superb quality compared to many other kits. I paid roughly $900 installed for everything for mine.

If you have defrost and don't want it, just wrap the wires around some spots underneath the top well. I don't really use mine, but at least if I replace the top again I have the choice if I want to put a defrost glass in their next time...