Coverting to 140 speedo, what do i need to do????

• Sponsors (?)

All you need is the speedometer mechanism itself. You don't need to change clusters. Just swap the mechanical parts and install your new faces.

You can use a speedo from any 89-93 car in this case

Yep my 87 was creatively done using the original stock faces. The cut a straight nline where the speedo goes in and refitted it back together. I never noticed it until I took it apart to install my white face covers.
There us really very little to it. No recalibrtion needed if you find the 140 speedo becaue its already calibrated.

Mustang5L5 said:
All you need is the speedometer mechanism itself. You don't need to change clusters. Just swap the mechanical parts and install your new faces.

You can use a speedo from any 89-93 car in this case

So I'm assuming 89-93's have 140mph speedo's? If your saying to just remove the mechanism from one of those isn't it just easier to just replace the existing 85 mph cluster w/ the 140 and just throwing the white face over that? IMO that's easier (but maybe I'm not understanding what your saying) For what it's worth I never come across the 140 clusters very often, and I see them go on ebay for like $100+.

5.0Droptop said:
Yep my 87 was creatively done using the original stock faces. The cut a straight nline where the speedo goes in and refitted it back together. I never noticed it until I took it apart to install my white face covers.
There us really very little to it. No recalibrtion needed if you find the 140 speedo becaue its already calibrated.

man all gauge clusters are man this way, all of the gauges seperate from each other... unless im missing your point....

ram360 said:
So I'm assuming 89-93's have 140mph speedo's? If your saying to just remove the mechanism from one of those isn't it just easier to just replace the existing 85 mph cluster w/ the 140 and just throwing the white face over that? IMO that's easier (but maybe I'm not understanding what your saying) For what it's worth I never come across the 140 clusters very often, and I see them go on ebay for like $100+.

Well, say you found one of the RARE 1989 clusters with a 140MPH speedo. THEN you could just swap clusters as they are the same physical size and use the same wiring.

The deal with the 90-93 style is they were changed a bit physically for the airbag and the wiring is different due to different warning lights and such in the cluster. In order to directly swap the 90-93 unit in you would need to cut and rewire the two main harnesses going to the cluster. It has been done, but you really need an understanding of wiring diagrams for it.

That's why i said for most people, just swapping the entire mechanical unit is far easier than rewiring the cluster.