Coyote 5.0 swap into '96 gt

mrbuhag

Sep 4, 2011
Has anyone done it yet? or maybe in the process? I'd love to hear / see your results/progress. Sorry if someone has already started a thread like this.

by the way, i am wondering if this can be done on an auto?

• Sponsors (?)

I read an article in this months muscle mustangs and fast fords with someone asking the same question. They said that the new 5.0 coyote is actually narrower than the modular 4.6 and that the motor mounts will interchange and mount onto the stock k-member. They say the hardest part is actually getting your hands on a coyot and then getting the wiring harness changed over.

have fun:flag:

The motor would be worth more than the car...?

Thats for sure.

BUT it would be cool. One of the Mustang mag I sub too (can't remember which) swapped one into a SN95 Cobra. The engine alone would be costly and FRPP sells a harness and PCM kit to simplify the swap. Then there are other things like PS pump and the drive by wire setup.

As far as the trans go I beleive the auto will bolt up to it question is is will it last in stock form.

For the cost and effort involved, I'd rather buy a nice longblock w/ ported PI heads and toss on a PD SC. Cost would be less, you'd have more power, tuning would be relatively easy, and no wiring headaches.

Ford racing offers an ECM with wiring harness for the new 5.0. This could be a convient solution, but you would probably have to deal with some of the gauges and anti-theft.
I've read the 5.0 bolt pattern is identical to the 4.6, and the motor mounts interchangable. The oil pan is deeper, and I am not sure if it would clear the mustang. I know on the FFR cobra, the new 5.0 pan doesn't work (though a pan 4.6 does fit).
I would love to do this swap, but man that is a chunk of change for an old stang worth 3-4k.

^ exactly... it would be sweet no doubt, but I think it would be more fun to do what I mentioned above AND include the MM suspension goodies (tubular k, coil overs, TA, PHB, etc..) You could probably build a stout FI 4.6 w/ forged internals, upgrade all of the suspension, and still come out financially ahead of doing just the Coyote swap.

The motor would be worth more than the car...?

As it it with most Fox/SN95 Mustangs. A stroker with a H/C/I package isn't that far off the cost of a Coyote Crate engine. :shrug:

You might want to read this first: FFRP coyote 5.0 crate engine swaps "suck" - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Be sure to watch the Factory Five video that linked to in one of the posts, it seems there's ALOT of driveability issues with the Coyote.

Seemed absolutely perfect to me? Whether it stalled or not at the 2:16 mark in that video is debatable. I personally believe he shut it down as he was pulling up to the camera, so as not to drown out his audio commentary when giving his review.

As it it with most Fox/SN95 Mustangs. A stroker with a H/C/I package isn't that far off the cost of a Coyote Crate engine. :shrug:

Guess we shop at different places then. Last time I saw, the Coyote engine + harness was like $12k. I have NEVER put anything close to that in a engine.

Seemed absolutely perfect to me? Whether it stalled or not at the 2:16 mark in that video is debatable. I personally believe he shut it down as he was pulling up to the camera, so as not to drown out his audio commentary when giving his review.

Dunno about him shutting it down, a quick search on the interwebs reveals a bunch of other folks having issues too. Maybe it's nothing, or early teething problems. As pointed out in that other thread, the LS engines have been around for 10+ years and only fairly recently have developed a big following. So, maybe we just need to give it time. Guess the question is, who's willing to be a guinea pig and are you willing to work through the issues?

No but add in the cost of the harness, the time required to install and wire said harness, and the additional one off parts required to make the engine work in the SN-95 chassis, it doesn't make for a very cost effective build. Especially considering that it likely won't eclipse 400 RWHP w/o spending additonal money on a SC, cams, intake, etc....

If someone is mechanically inclined enough to do a Coyote swap, then that same person could build a mean 4.6 short block and install a nice PD blower for less than it would cost to buy the Coyote and the FRPP harness AND you'd have more power w/ more potential for growth.

IIRC the Coyote engine and harness costs over $7500 and that doesn't include any additional parts like headers, alternator, power steering pump, etc...

I don't disagree that you could build yourself a powerful N/A modular stroker and/or a blown modular set up that would rival and in the case of the blown modular, surpass the power output of the new Coyote…but let’s look at what’s really involved here?

I do find it a little comical that you suggest the time and effort involved in installing a wiring harness to transplant the Coyote isn’t worth the trouble, yet sourcing and building your own modular short block from scratch with aftermarket parts, along with all of the supporting parts and hardware (exhaust, intake, tuning, bolts, nuts, etc) required in order to complete the build and come anywhere close to the power and drivability levels of the new Coyote barely get’s a reaction from you.

And let’s be frank here. You’re not going to come anywhere close to 412hp/390tq with a N/A 4.6L 2V/4V modular and still end up anywhere close to meeting the Coyote’s smooth idle, flawless street manners, near 30mpg fuel economy or sparse emissions output….all of which is accomplished on 87-octane pump gas. As the matter of fact…you aren’t coming anywhere close to those levels without the use of a power adder…and we all know how expensive the game gets after that.

Furthermore, with the Coyote package you’re getting a turnkey, plug and play crate engine, complete with 12-month, 12,000-mile warranty. Remind me again what the warranty is like when you build your own modular in your garage at home? :shrug:

Where exactly is the cost savings? :scratch:

EXACTLY!

AND...who says you have to buy a Coyote crate motor? it won't be long before they start showing up in wrecking yards

If I was in a position to need a rebuilt or new 4.6 I definitely be looking at a 5.0 Coyote swap...

I don't disagree that you could build yourself a powerful N/A modular stroker and/or a blown modular set up that would rival and in the case of the blown modular, surpass the power output of the new Coyote…but let’s look at what’s really involved here?

I do find it a little comical that you suggest the time and effort involved in installing a wiring harness to transplant the Coyote isn’t worth the trouble, yet sourcing and building your own modular short block from scratch with aftermarket parts, along with all of the supporting parts and hardware (exhaust, intake, tuning, bolts, nuts, etc) required in order to complete the build and come anywhere close to the power and drivability levels of the new Coyote barely get’s a reaction from you.

The fact that installing said wire harness and making it work with your factory gauges makes this install challenging enough. Add to that the speculation that these engines don't always run right when swapped with the FRPP control pack and you might start to question whether or not spending $7500 is worth it. That 7500 also doesn't include headers, intake tubing, and other misc parts necessary to make this swap work.

And let’s be frank here. You’re not going to come anywhere close to 412hp/390tq with a N/A 4.6L 2V/4V modular and still end up anywhere close to meeting the Coyote’s smooth idle, flawless street manners, near 30mpg fuel economy or sparse emissions output….all of which is accomplished on 87-octane pump gas. As the matter of fact…you aren’t coming anywhere close to those levels without the use of a power adder…and we all know how expensive the game gets after that.

Funny that Mr. PD Nutswinger himself is saying this. A complete KB kit can be purchased for under $6,000 and will provide 400 RWHP and 400 RWTQ. Structurally the KB blowers are solid units meaning if you wreck your engine the SC is fine. You can install a junk yard replacement engine for under $1500 AND if you ever have a desire to upgrade to a forged short block you have room to grow with that PD blower. That's 2 engines AND a supercharger for the same price as the coyote w/ harness.

Don't forget that the coyote's 412 hp is not rated at the wheels, and certainly doesn't have the broad torque curve a KB supercharged 4.6 has.

Regarding driveability, you're always going on and on and on about how PD blower cars have such great street manners. So Brian, are you saying a N/A Coyote offers better drivability than a PD 4.6?

Where have you seen a real SN-95 car with a coyote engine making 30 MPG's... also, are you certain the coyote makes 412 hp while running 87 octane gas? I doubt it...

Furthermore, with the Coyote package you’re getting a turnkey, plug and play crate engine, complete with 12-month, 12,000-mile warranty. Remind me again what the warranty is like when you build your own modular in your garage at home? :shrug:

Where exactly is the cost savings? :scratch:

Considering that you'd have to remove that engine and send it back to Ford with a warranty that is only 12 months... BFD... I doubt there are many properly installed KB 4.6's that have ruined motors within 12 months.

For $1500 less than it would cost to buy the Coyote engine and harness, I could buy a KB kit, install it on 2 weekend afternoons, and make more power across the RPM band than the Coyote makes.