Crane PowerMax 2020 cam, good idea???

earleys94gt

Aug 31, 2003
Ashley, Ohio
I was reading the latest issue of 5.0 Mustang&Super Fords and saw an article where they installed this cam in a bone staock, AOD, 93 Gt conv't.

The cam specs are... 0.530/0.530 intake and exhaust lift
0.208/0.216 duration at 0.050.

The car stock did a best RWHP of 138.57 and RWTQ of 185.10 ft/lbs.
After the swap the best RWHP was 139.85 and RWTQ of 206.62 ft/lbs.
The biggest gain was 35.37 TQ@2708 RPM and 19.54 HP@2845 RPM

This was done with Crane Gold 1.7 rockers and 6 5/8 inch chrome-moly pushrods. The rockers increased lift from 0.530 to 0.563 on both sides.

The numbers they said would be better with some headers, cat-back and a hotter ignition set-up, a torque convertor and gears.

Based on the cam's specs, would this cam cause drive-a-bility problems or not???

• Sponsors (?)

I've got to think that article is bull****, or else some other things were done to the car that you didn't say/list.

For one, I'd love to see what kind of valve springs they used - they sure as hell couldn't be the stock ones. That lobe profile, with those rocker arms, is VERY aggressive. Stock valve springs simply aren't up to the test (which has me questioning the car's baseline power....).

Secondly, why is the car so down on power in general? Don't say the automatic, because that's not it. Look at the valve springs....:eek:

For all the money put in to this cam, you would be better off putting a Performer or GT40 manifold on the car. That alone will give you more power all over the powerband, shouldn't cause ANY driveability issues, and cost you less. Much less.

Also, by doing such a thing, you're saving your motor. I'd love to see how long this "test motor" that the magazine uses. The pistons will be eating intake valves in no time.

......can you tell how I think about those magazines yet?! :D

Joe

Depending on advertised numbers, I'd bet that it's a decent cam. Nice aggressive lobes and short durations would make for a kick ass deal on GT40 deal if you retarded it a few degrees. It needs a serious valve spring though - probably something with ~400 lbs. open.

Joe

The car was bone stock and had over 130,000 miles on it. They also had to put new plugs and an air filter in it to get the numbers they did. It was not in the best running condition, and they did what tune up stuff they could to make it run 'beter'

Without reading the article....

These magazine guys are such retards. Basically what they are conveying to you is that any moron who owns a Mustang and strap this camshaft into their motor and pick up power. That simply is not the case. Using ANY aftermarket camshaft with stock USED valve springs, is a giant step in the wrong direction.

And, I can't believe that they would take a baseline run, only get 130-some horsepower and 200-some ft-lbs. and just proceed with the test like nothing is wrong with the car. What retards.....

Joe