Crank case oil catch cans???

Himark

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
I am having trouble with a car on the road race track pushing oil out through the breathers. It is a new motor and has a 4"extension with breathers with oil restrictors and baffles and still will push out oil in hard turns. After looking at some other cars I need a oil catch resevoir with a breather on top....who makes these? Summit was lost when i called them..

• Sponsors (?)

Here is my set up (lower left). Will try to get a better pic. The "catch can" came from Gemini Racing, but it was expensive. You can actually make your own and as you will see, some people come up with some pretty simple idea like "Crisco" cans and empty oil bottles as "catchers" You got to love this track stuff.

Also, the rear ends usually do not blow fluid in these things so you can simply run the vent tube up into the frame rail to catch any small amount that may blow out.

These small blocks "blow" oil at high RPM's so make sure you catch it all. You will also need to add a spring to your dip stick as the pressure will also raise it and you will loose oil.

Run you fuel tank vent tube to the opposite site of the car from the outlet and it will not puke gas. I learned this the hard way with several black flags before getting it figured out.

You do not want any fluid coming from the car. Bad for your tires and the other guys tires.

Put up a pic of your race rod at the track.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

Attachments

• enginebay4.jpg
    enginebay4.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 145
Thanks for the heads up on the oil dip stick..! that was also pushing up. I ran the car at hallet last week and should have some pics so I will post them.

Bow to the vintage racers :hail2: I'll be there one day (volunteer for now) and hopefully with this '65 coupe project I have my eye on down the street.

Related question to the above... would such an animal be practical (or a simpler version) for a stock but dressed up I6 that I drive to work daily?? The problem is that my Ford motorsport breather puts a small amount of oil all over my chrome engine goodies - then more polishing. Does a simple hose down to the ground work for such a miniscule amount... or what else do street cars use?

BBRacer (Future Vintage Go Fast Guy)
'65 coupe

Another road race tip. A lot of guys slide a piece of roll bar padding in their axle tubes, this keeps the gear oil from slamming into the back of the bearings at the housing ends. I'm not sure if its a problem with sealed bearings on a 9" but I've seen them in 9" rears. It might also be just to take up space so the gear oil stays in the center section.

This subject has definitely sparked my interest. I have done some research and found the following suggestions...
* Use a 10AN (1/2") hose or larger.
* The hose(s) should not have large bends in them. This allows oil to puddle inside the line.
* If possible, mount the catch can inlet higher than the outlet from the valve covers.

1320stang said:
Isn't this why the SBC guys connect the front of their valve covers with a 1 1/2" diameter or so tube with 2 breathers at the top in the middle?
Sounds like this would essentially do the same thing without the need for a catch can or drain. You would have to have a hole drilled in the passenger side valve cover to make this work.

In either case, the PCV valve should stay in place. I think?