Cranks and cranks but no fire

CManT1914

Feb 5, 2004
Killeen, Texas
I've been having issues lately with the stang cranking FOREVER before it fires, if it fires at all. It cranks real fast, but it just takes a long time to fire. I have good fuel pressure, but have not checked spark. My battery has been pretty weak lately, and I was wondering if maybe the weak battery might not be supplying enough juice to fire my coil since it's an MSD. Any thoughts on this? Anybody else have problems like this?

• Sponsors (?)

Well if your battery is at 12V then assume the battery is fine. Start checking spark and see if every wire fires (timing light clamp on each wire does the trick). Then remove your plugs and see if you are running rich/lean anywhere.

Have you gone through your engine connections and made sure everything was ok?

Maf dirty???
Scott

VOlts are not a decent indication of battery status in terms of cranking. If you're seeing 10 volts or under while cranking, it can create some issues.

Chris, you already stated what ya need to do - check spark and/or injector pulsing and go from there.

The easy way to go is put a jumper battery on (to rule out the battery). Check for fouled plugs too.

Good luck bud.

UPDATE: I hooked up some jumper cables this morning from my dad's truck and it fired right up. So I brought it down to work, I'm gonna mess with it this afternoon.

Scott, I'll let you know what I find when I have some time to mess with it.

JT, it must have something to do with the weak battery, as it fires right up everytime it has another power source (jumper box, charge box, jumper cables)

RJ, I have 40psi fuel pressure as soon as I turn the key, and it stays there. I checked that out about a month ago when I first started noticing problems.

Chris, if it makes you feel better, I'm having similar [starting] issues but on the literbike (for me, it's a jetting issue - no semi-hot motor restarts because the slow jets arent pulling their weight). :bang:

Good luck with it. :nice:

CManT1914 said:
UPDATE: I hooked up some jumper cables this morning from my dad's truck and it fired right up. So I brought it down to work, I'm gonna mess with it this afternoon.

Scott, I'll let you know what I find when I have some time to mess with it.

JT, it must have something to do with the weak battery, as it fires right up everytime it has another power source (jumper box, charge box, jumper cables)

RJ, I have 40psi fuel pressure as soon as I turn the key, and it stays there. I checked that out about a month ago when I first started noticing problems.

Well glad you found the problem. You were saying it was cranking real fast initially so i assumed your batt was fine. I would disregard my previous post and concentrate on the charging system and the battery. Glad you found it.
Scott