crankshaft removal

jeeps

Sep 10, 2009
ive been trying to remove the crank shaft on my 2000 gt engine but the main bearing caps have these dowel pins on either side of the cap, ive removed the retaining bolts but the cap still wont budge, i dont know what the specs are regarding how there pressed in there but is there a special way to removing these?

• Sponsors (?)

If you need to ask should you really be doing it?

The answer is, yes.

More people should try to do things they're not 100% sure about, it's the best way to learn. Too many are afraid they'll break something that then never jump in and try to push their limit.

I wouldn't go tearing into my DD like that, but some other car in my garage... why not. :p

Reactions: 1 user
The answer is, yes.

More people should try to do things they're not 100% sure about, it's the best way to learn. Too many are afraid they'll break something that then never jump in and try to push their limit.

I wouldn't go tearing into my DD like that, but some other car in my garage... why not. :p

:hail2:we need more people like this!!!

that is how i learned to work on cars. just dont be afraid to tear into anything. the worst that can happen is you mess it up and have to pay someone to fix it anyways.

The first thing I learn and the best thing I learn from years of my Grandfather and father teaching me about motors and three year of vocational school, and class's from FORD Tech's is ask for help > even if you feel stupid doing it ASK FOR HELP > you will always be better off asking than not knowing > The only BAD question is the one you didn't ask,
THE SECOND THING WAS FROM MY TRADE SCHOOL TEACHER !!! IF YOUCAN'T FIX IT FU#K IT UP SO NO ONE ELSE CAN ! :) haahahahahahaha

Will someone post a picture of these "side bolts"? I am brand new to building engines and am doing it old school because thats what I do. So I got an old engine (2000 gt 4.6L 2v V8) and am just using it for a puzzle to memorize. I do understand bore and new bolts and parts are necessary in areas but this like I said just a puzzle for fun at this time. But I too am stuck at the dowel pins. By side bolts do you mean the bolts not touching the dowels in any way which hold the crankshaft in place with two bolts and are in direct line form the dowel pin to the opposite side same piece dowel pin? I attached an image to make it easier. Have I already removed this "side bolt" there on the right and the dowel remains? or is there a bolt I cant see?

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 45