Crap Ass Equal Lengths

MattZ281LE

Founding Member
Feb 6, 2000
Purcellville, Va
Anyone else hate short tube equal lengths.

I bought a 90 Notch with these turds on, it was missing with a burned up #3 plug wire boot. I put on another plug wire from spares I had and it burned through it in 2 days. :mad:

There seems to be no way to protect the boot on that cylinder the tube is so close to the plug. :nonono:

Its the only mod on the engine so I have a good mind to put a set of FMS shorties on it orthe stock manifolds. OR just indent the primary near where the boot is that close to give it the space it needs.

Who designed this crap.

• Sponsors (?)

It all depends on what brand they are. I've got BBK equal length shorties on mine right now and I've never had any issue burning wires and changing the plugs is still cake. Some brands of equal just suck I guess. Put some shorties or a better set of equals on it and you'll be fine. Also, use plug wires with a multi angle boot design so you can bend the boot away from the primary.

These are MAC junkers. I had the FMS shorties on my 95 and they where perfect.

what good are equal length anyway. Long tubes are the only way to go in that case.

Ill put em on ebay and let some sucka buy em. Maybe I will throw in a few spare plug wires

I have equals and burnt threw a wire! Burnt it into two! But thats cause it was sitting on the headers! Pretty badass light show at night :) but i replaced all my wires and tucked them up and have an angle boot and never had a probly at the boot! The wire was burnt in the middle cause it just layed on the header! But i still hate my shorty's! My temp gauge is around 190 all the time and spikes to 210 and the highest its ever been is 220 and that was sitting in traffic waiting on a wreck to clear! LONG TUBES IN THE WORKS!

I always thought that MAC made good headers but no one likes them. I was installing some the other day on a friends car and we had to do some hammering on them to get em to fit.

FRPP and BBK are good choices as far as fitment and quality.

First hand experience with MAC and BBK...Macs were junk plain and simple, didnt fit for crap, didnt seal up because it they had individual flanges, coating sucked, couldnt tighten the bolts well, harder to change plugs etc etc... threw on some BBK equals :nice: fit perfect, seal perfect, look and sound way better, no problems with bolts or changing plugs, and never burnt a wire.

I got mac shortys and they havent burned a wire but on the passenger side header its a bitch to get the 2 last bolts i still yet have to be able to get them on :( i have a leak and i need to get rid of that leak

You still haven't got the last two bolts in?

Remove the rubber intake duct that goes from the MAF to the TB, and remove the smog hoses/air valve if you are still running your smog equipment. That should get as much stuff out of the way as you need.

Get the tiniest/shortest 3/8" open/box combo wrench you can find, and after getting the threads to start by hand tighten the bolts down with the wrench little by little.

If I were you I'd re-tighten your header bolts once you get them all in. You want to start with the bolts in the middle of the header and work your way out.

You still haven't got the last two bolts in?

Remove the rubber intake duct that goes from the MAF to the TB, and remove the smog hoses/air valve if you are still running your smog equipment. That should get as much stuff out of the way as you need.

Get the tiniest/shortest 3/8" open/box combo wrench you can find, and after getting the threads to start by hand tighten the bolts down with the wrench little by little.

If I were you I'd re-tighten your header bolts once you get them all in. You want to start with the bolts in the middle of the header and work your way out.

thanks i will retigh them. but i got the ones in the back the ones im having problems with are the ones
Mac20Sh4.jpg

First hand experience with MAC and BBK...Macs were junk plain and simple, didnt fit for crap, didnt seal up because it they had individual flanges, coating sucked, couldnt tighten the bolts well, harder to change plugs etc etc... threw on some BBK equals :nice: fit perfect, seal perfect, look and sound way better, no problems with bolts or changing plugs, and never burnt a wire.

ive got the mac shorties on mine and have never had a problem with burnt wires, fitment issues, or sealing. threw em on in about 2 hrs or so and its easier for me to change plugs. idk what yalls problem is but they work fine for me.