Cross Flow Radiator Help

reillymax

Jan 15, 2016
Hi
Im new to asking questions online but I need some help.
I built a 289 for a friend, nothing much some head work, big cam, intake, carb,headers,msd.....

When I built the engine for him I did not know he had ordered a radiator with the inlet on one side and outlet on the other so I ran a water pump that has the inlet and outlet on the passenger side. We fired the engine with the old radiator and it ran good but then it started to leak out of the old radiator. Talking to a friend he told me that I was better off using the cross flow radiator because it makes the water travel across the radiator not just up and down like the same side inlet/outlet radiator. My question is there a hose that makes it so I don’t have to change the water pump and can use the cross flow radiator or I’m I stuck with having to change the water pump.
Thank you
Car-1965 Mustang V8 AT

• Sponsors (?)

sure, you can get a universal flexible rad hose the right length with the right size fittings and install that then zip tie it to the lower core support to keep it from flopping around.

the chinese stainless flexible ones from auto parts stores work well because they are ore rigid.

Thanks barnett468
thats what I was thinking but did not know if it would flex enough. Ill give it a try
do you know if there is any truth to better cooling with a radiator that has the in and out on opposite sides.

You could also use a different water pump with the outlet on the correct side for the radiator.

You could also take the radiator to a custom radiator shop and have the outlet moved on it.

Either of those solutions is WAY cleaner than using some crappy flex hose.

You could also have a custom hard line hose made.