crossmember trouble

enferno

Jun 20, 2006
1966 mustang, v8

the crossmember that runs between the frames under the motor - the threads, not on the bolts, but on the frame, are cross threaded and i cannot get any damn bolt into it. what do i do? what are my options? should i tap it and go up a size on the bolt? any other ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

the crossmember that runs between the frames under the motor - the threads, not on the bolts, but on the frame, are cross threaded and i cannot get any damn bolt into it. what do i do? what are my options? should i tap it and go up a size on the bolt? any other ideas?

Tap it out to the original size. It is impossible to go "up" a size, because they are not normal bolts. They are one-of-a-kind Mustang crossmember bolts. If you can't get full torque on them, you'll have to weld new nuts in the frame. :mad:

cross_member_bolts.jpg

crossmember

All is not lost. I had the same problem on my 65 fastback. The original bolt is was 1/2-13 NC, so I drilled and tapped the hole for The next size up (9/16-12 NC)
I took a 2 inch long 9/16 bolt and screwed on a nut as tight as I could get it. Then using my bench grinder and the original bolt as a pattern, I ground the nut down till it was tapered like the original bolt so it fits the cross member hole. The head on the 9/16 bolt sticks out a little further then the original, but works perfectly otherwise.