crouching merk, hidden intercooler

mr_woodster

Jul 28, 2003
Riverside, CA
Well been messing around with merkur xr4ti these past few weeks, did a pretty good tune up on, its been sitting for quite a few years. But today i was test fitting a 87 Turbocoupe intercooler, i want the boost to go up even higher (buahha*cough*) but i want it too stay cool. Last night i made a few runs with a big vam +merkur ecu , ran pretty insanely. I think the leaner mixture + better top end breathing really livend that little car up! Had some small knock/ping at idle from time to time, but under wot/boost it would run like a champ. right now its at 11 degrees , im thinking ill intercool it, finnally run the rest of the sub-par gas out and hopefully that will clean up its idle. anyways..just food for thought..
<center>
sidecar.jpg

front.jpg

right.jpg

left.jpg

thinking of doing transplant of a turbo coupe hood scoop for it, may look half way decent ;)

• Sponsors (?)

ok, here is the vent laying on the hood (somewhat where it will be). Its bigger than i wanted it to be , so it wont be to stylish...but more effienct due to its size. I picked this sweet thing up for 5$ off a turbo chyrstler ...our other turbo4 brethren :D
vent.jpg

That vent will create a vacuum right? I have heard that you need at least an 1" or so hood scoop for it to be functional. There is a boundary layer. Learned about it in fluids.

I am sure it depends on the speed you are traveling, but there is something to it.

Looks good though.

ok, Got some piping bent (thanks to 140cilx for the 2.5 reminder!) at the local muffler shop, it has some interesting bends due to the lack of space and also hood clearance, but not kinked enough to disrupt flow (kudos to the master bender!) :D
<center>
icleft.jpg

<br> Ill probly be getting some better rubber connectors, for now that was just a mock up of the routing...but getting really close :) Any ideas of a local (chain) store that would carry something rubber in the sizes that you see me using there? tips welcome ! :nice: <br>
ictop.jpg

icright.jpg

You have done a great job here. One thing you may want to think about is running the intake pipe to a 3 sided K&N equiped air box sealed to the under side of the IC. Fin direction won't matter if you are sucking air right through it via the turbo. The speed of the air being forced through the IC cooling fins should get your intake temps down. You won't have near enough airflow otherwise, unless you mod the fins into an open scoop to catch the air. At high speeds you would likely experience the same thing the SVO does - air actually comes out of the scoop; it does not get forced through it.

I was going to cobble a setup like that together for one of my SVO's - use the hood scoop as a cold air intake right through the IC, but it's a bit too much piping. In your case, it would work like a damn charm because of the IC location.

Z.

Had some idea's do to the recent "vaccum" issue brought up by the venting through the hood. Talking to my dad, he suggested to make a ram-air setup , drawl through from the lower bummer air dam. here are some pics, yes the car is way dirty, and the piping is just sitting there. I will be using some real scoopage and much larger diameter piping, but here is the idea visualized...<br>
<center>
Here is where im gonna cut the hole for the piping..where the stock air box *was*<br>
flooric.jpg

here is where the piping will run(i set a piece there to show the route)<br>
testpipe.jpg

and here is the bummer area that will have the opening (i will inlarge it for the scoop) for the ram air deal (dont mind the nasty bumer, wonder how many cats have seen this bumper, up close and personal :owned: )<br>
inlet.jpg

Game = Ram Air Intercooling
<center>
the Players...<br>
Some piping (4 inch flex!)from my local Home-depot (aka cheap turbofords fav hangout!)
sorry i didnt paint my toes for you crovax! maybe next time :D
rampipe.jpg

Here is the adapter for the bottom of the IC (needs to be cut to fit~). Picked it becuase of its dip area dementions...10 by 8 , which is almost exactly the fin area of the IC (11 by 8)<br>

adapter.jpg

here is the scoop, that will SOMEHOW go in the lower air dam (some cutting/hacking required!)
<br>
scoop.jpg