Cruise control help 92GT

cmb91LX

Apr 20, 2004
Memphis
The cruise control on My little brother's car is not working. We have checked fuses, all good. Brake lights work, horn works, cig lighter, etc, etc. We will be trying the vaccum at the brake pedal tomorrow, however, when we attempt to turn on cruise, shouldnt we at least see a light come on of some sort. If so, then this leads me to believe this may be an electrical issue, not vacuum related. Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

i don't think there's a cruise light. make sure your activating it right ( sounds stupid but) i know with mine it takes a minute for it to "catch" sometimes. i don't know if theres a certain speed they will activate at but try making sure your going atleast 35 or 40 mph.

make sure you hit the on button and then hold the set/accel button down. keep holding it for maybe 30 seconds......, i was messing with mine a few days ago and i had to hold that button down for a few before it started working.

ok if none of that works, check down on the brake pedal assembly, theres a vaccum line that goes to a plunger switch, make sure thats connected.

others may have some other more in depth things to check...

EDIT- according to the owners manual you must be going atleast 30 mph, you hit the "ON" button and immediatly release it, then accelerate to the desired above 30 mph speed ( with the gas pedal) then when your at the desired speed, hit and release the "set/accel" button. it should then maintain the speed. then hold the "set/accel" down untill it starts accelerating if you wish to go faster. there is no cruise light, atleast it doesnt say there is and i dont see one on mine.

I've tried it from multiple speeds, however, I have not tried to hold accel down for a while....

I will be checking the vacuum hose deal under the brake pedal tomorrow, not sure I know what I'm looking for but there cant be too many vacuum hoses connected to the brake pedal assy, can there?

If you drive around with your foot pressing on the clutch pedal, that will prevent the cruse control from working. There is an electrical switch on it that is wired up for the cruse control. The switch also works to keep the car from starting unless the clutch pedal is pressed to the floor.

The cruise control in my 92 5.0 LX does not maintain the speed on any kind of hill. But when I push the accelerator a little, the cruise control kicks in and the speed picks up. Any ideas about what is wrong ?

rbri said:
The cruise control in my 92 5.0 LX does not maintain the speed on any kind of hill. But when I push the accelerator a little, the cruise control kicks in and the speed picks up. Any ideas about what is wrong ?

Mine did the very same thing for the longest time, and then ended up not working at all.

Still trying to fix it.