Cruising Speed Chug!

My 01 GT Automatic has been doing this weird chugging and jerking real hard while at cruising speed 35-55, or when the gas peddle is pressed down enough to maintain speed. It will do it some what slightly at highway speeds until the RPMs get over 2300 and it seems to smooth out after that.

I have no check engine light, and the trans was just rebuilt 6000 miles ago!

Has anyone experienced this or have any advice that can point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

• Sponsors (?)

I recommend starting with the basics. Clean the MAF. New fuel filter. New PVC value. Check for vacuum leaks and exhaust leaks. Check all hoses especially the EVAP hoses and the lines leading to/from the DPFE sensor.

Then (and only then) look at the possibility this is excessive EGR flow. Pull and cap the vacuum line the EGR value. Does this improve performance? If so, replace the DPFE sensor first.

Reactions: 1 user
Update! Changed PCV valve, cleaned MAF and changed fuel filter. Checked vacuum lines and exaust is good no leaks. Much to my evail its now running worse. Rough idle and seems to be missing. Tone of the motor has seemed to change aswell, sounds throaty almost like its being choked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Is this the DFPE?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342376867413.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342376867413.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 163
Well just got back from the test drive after pulling the vacuum hose from the DPFE. I drove it hard, soft, backwards and sideways ;) and not one time did she spit, spudder, chug, or jerk.

Looks like I'll be picking up a new one on my lunch break tomorrow.

wmburns, thank you for your help and knowledge! We all love our mustangs and want them to run and look good. And when someone like you takes time out of your day to help us, it is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Well, after 4 days and $102 for a DPFE sensor the 01 GT is at her old tricks again :(

I know the check engine light is working because of pulling the EGR value house to the sensor the light came on for the drive home I got a code for restricted flow.

Is changing the EGR Valve next on the list to be changed or could something be fouling the sensor?

This little annoying chug is really starting to get expensive. I have now cleaned the egr, no change, replaced it, no change. I'm all out of ideas.

I guess next step is plugs and COLs. Could I have a fuel system problem? I figure if it was an ignition problem I would be constant throughout all RPM ranges. Now I'm just shooting in the dark. Any other opinions would be great! Thanks guys!

Ive had this same problem since ive owned the car i deleted IAC, changed all plugs and cop, deleted egr, changed intake manifold, pretty much only happens at a steady idle, im putting new injectors in it and a fuel pump if it doesnt change im going to live with it.

We'll do! It was starting to get real frustrating for a while. So far it's been going good, I'm still getting an "off" tone in the exhaust, just don't sound like it used to before I started having that issue. Its almost sounds if their is water in the mufflers. That's just what it sounds like and I assure everyone who reads this that I do not have water in them! LOL. But I will sure keep you posted.