Exhaust Curious About What This Type Of Exhaust System Would Sound Like

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by rockstarwb, Jun 20, 2014.

1. rockstarwb

rockstarwb Member

I'm only asking this question mainly because I would like opinions,good or bad.If I were to install something like this,it would be on a 91 LX with a 331 stroker.Lets say you remove everything exhaust related beginning with the hpipe.Come off of both shorty headers with the beginning section of a hpipe and then merge both pipes into a single 3" pipe,run that into a Flowmaster muffler with a single inlet/dual outlet configuration,then go back into two
    2 1/2"-3" tailpipes from there back.OR come off of the muffler with the same 3" single pipe(instead of going into dual tailpipes after the muffler)So there would only be a single 3" pipe running from the headers all the way back and over the rearend,then split into dual pipes from behind the rearend then a couple foot of dual tailpipes.I'm mainly curious as to what this type of system would sound like compared to running a typical hpipe or xpipe with catback from there back.Do you think it would sound good/bad/typical and do you think it would help or hurt performance??I'm not exactly planning on doin this,but wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on the subject.Thanks for any replies

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  2. stykthyn

stykthyn Commander of the snuggie cultists

That's how trucks and f- bodies do it. Turbo cars as well. What you are referring to is a y pipe and is common on cars that don't have room under the body for a true dual set up like we have. Imho stick with the dual set up.

3. rockstarwb

rockstarwb Member

So you're pretty much saying that installing something like this will sound identical to a F150 ?

4. tamadrummer88

tamadrummer88 Active Member

What you want is ideal for a turbo car. On an NA car, stick with the way it was set up from the factory

5. rockstarwb

rockstarwb Member

So its good for a single turbo kit but what about a twin turbo?I would imagine a dual exhaust(like oem)setup is used on twin turbo cars