Curious, has your car ever done something...

Three50won

10 Year Member
Jul 11, 2010
that was impressive and unbelievable and never happened before or since??!! I find it funny that sometimes a car can do something phenomenal that seemingly defies all logic and common sense. And maybe you try your best to duplicate it but you can't. Or maybe you're just satisfied that it happened the one time...like banging the one incredibly hott chick you never thought you could get, haha!! And when it happens (um, back to the car thing...) I think most of us keep it to ourselves because we think others will call BS or think we're trolling or something. Or we think we'll be ridiculed or berated. And sometimes people look at your mods and think there's no way you could be telling the truth. Or they compare your story to what they know from experience and choose not to believe you. Anyway I'd like to hear if anyone has some kind of thing that happened that they never told anyone...or that you did talk about but nobody believed. Maybe you walked a Viper...or drifted into a parking spot...or made an exceptionally good pass on the track...or hit 195 mph on a side street...or made 500 rwhp with an unlikely set-up...whatever it is I'd like to read it. As long as it is an honest and true incident. Or make something up that's funny, I don't care. Or tell me something ridiculous that you'd like to do...like installing 2.3L OHC heads on a SOHC 4.6, hahaha!!

To kick things off, I chirped a 2nd to 3rd gear shift once about 2 years ago in my 03 GT...on fairly new stock size tires in the early Summer on dry ground after about 10minutes of driving with a passenger. It sounds impossible I know, but it happened. I told others about it and was met with the same disbelief that you're probably having right now, but it happened. It never happened before and never happened again but there were 3 others who witnessed it. The 2 guys in the other car in the next lane both looked over with their jaws dropped, hahaha!! Well anyway, as silly as my story sounds and as much flak as I'll probably get for this I still felt the need to make some small talk and I would like to hear other ridiculously silly, and unbelievably impressive stories. And I'd like to read some feedback on my story too. Trust me, if I read this story from someone else I think I might have a few jokes for them, haha!! Well I hope I at least made you laugh a bit...Happy (and safe) Holidays BTW!!

• Sponsors (?)

I was on my way to work one morning several years ago when I got an intersection that's known for being slow. Most of the problem is created by morons that don't know how to get through an uncontrolled 4 way stop.

Anyway, this particular morning, it was backed up for a 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile (much more than usual). Being my usual morning and cheerful self (not) I flipped a smokey, powered U-turn, landed perfectly straight headed the correct direction in the opposite lane with tires still smoking. Seeing all the commotion, traffic on both sides of the two way just stop. I power slid through the left hand turn down the side road and went to work the back way.

It wasn't until I'd calmed down that it all played through my mind and how it must have looked to spectators. LOL

It seriously had to look some some chit from the old Starskey and Hutch. :rlaugh:

The impossible part is the tires on a basically bone stock 86. I could get them to spin easy enough but they RARELY ever smoked and by the time I'd made my turn onto the back road, you couldn't see the traffic in the far lane anymore.

I was pretty proud of that rage induced smoke screen. :burnout:

I laid a pair of tire marks at least 50' long... in my 88 hp 4 cyl mustang (automatic). By all accounts, it should be impossible... open differential, barely enough power to get the car to highway speeds, ect. However, it is amazing how slippery a dry road covered in salt at around 0 deg F is. ;) Tires get rock hard and the salt is like a fine dust on the
road. This was in high school, and no, it didn't go over well.

I suppose barking the 2-3 shift in an automatic is a bit more impressive, but it is pretty common for me with a stick if I power shift. That's with stock 3.27 gears, and I could even do that before the PI parts. Just a matter of shock loading the tires. I still haven't heard a bark on the 3-4 shift, but the clutch doesn't hook that hard I guess.

Even if you could, I would highly recommend against installing a 2.3 OHC head on a 4.6. That would be several large steps back... unless you bought a pair of nice esslinger aluminum heads for $4k a piece. There is a group of people that have installed Volvo cylinder heads on the 2.3L. It is a nice upgrade with 4 valves per cylinder and lots more flow. ;)

I did a smoke show once in my 70 Dart in front of a friend on mine. His truck had run out of gas at a "T" in the road. He called me up to see if I could come pick him up to go get some gas. After we went and got the gas and topped the truck off. I turned around in the "T" and nailed it, I remember looking in the mirror and seeing a lot of smoke, he said it was the most awesome thing he'd ever seen on the street. Which may not sound like much, until you consider it was a stock 318, with a fat 727 behind it with 2.76 gears and a peg leg. lol

To make it more believable I think there may have been some dirt or gravel on the road that allowed the tires to get spinning before I hit pavement. I still can't do it to this day and the car has a 365ci, 3K converter, and 4.10's in it now.

Lets see....when I broke up with my girl friend I did a quick 1-2 shift brake stand burn out in front of her job (diner) in my 95 vert for a solid 45 seconds! She called me and said every one in the diner said that was the craziest burn out they have ever seen and it took the smoke a good half hour to leave. Once when I was merging onto the highway I684 there was this C5 corvette riding my ass so i had the car in second gear riding the rpms and we both hit it and he couldn't get around me. I had 4.10's in the car and I think the vette was in 3rd gear. We both pulled into the same shopping center and he wouldnt even look my way.

It was about 2pm and I was puttsin around hunting for some traffic violations in my fully loaded Crown Vic Police Interceptor. I came upon an unsuspecting bicyclist pedaling his little heart out, you know the type; black and yellow spandex, huge teardrop shaped brain bucket, and riding right in the middle of the road. The road we were on narrows slightly, s-turns and declines sharply for about 1/10 mile, I followed him around the s-turns and down the hill, flipped on my VASCAR and proceeded to clock his speed. He hit a walloping 48.7 mph, I didnt even know they could go that fast, funny thing is the speed limit is only 35mph. I'm a fair guy, and I dont think I'm unreasonable so when I pulled him over I asked if he knew how fast he was going. Elated and out of breath he said YES about 50 mph! So I did what any pro active Officer would do, I politely lectured him on the traffic patters, and what a slow moving vehicle is required to do, then issued a traffic citation for 14 over. At the hearing the MDJ didnt think it was very funny (he is an avid cyclist) he lectured me on using better judgment in the future when issuing and tossed the citation!

When I was in High School I did a massive burnout in front of the school to show off for some girls who were out there, I ended up blowing out both my rear tires, and the wind was blowing in just the right direction to put the gigantic cloud into the crowd of girls (Not happy) and the schools front doors. The smoke alarms went off and here I was in the middle of the road in a 79 Mustang loaded with four 16 year olds, on the rims and all we could hear was the sirens of the fire trucks as they were rushing to the "fire". I ended up freaking out and we drove it the two blocks to my buddy's house and hid it in the garage. Not one person ratted me out.

There was one week where my car stayed idling at red lights and in parking lots an all other times I came to a stop.....that was a very magical tiime......too bad that'll never happened again.....

I've done several movie-perfect smoke rolling 2nd gear u-turns that left me saying "that... was.... AWESOME".

Beat my best friends heads/cam/stall/geared/exhaust/tuned... etc. Z/28 a few times, as well as running within 1/10th to 1/100th with a nearly identical (plus intake and a 6 speed car) Z/28 my other buddy has.