Custom AutoSound USA66

geordie

Founding Member
May 10, 2002
Getting around to thinking about audio for my '65 Coupe.
I like the look of the CAS USA66, however, I'm aware that CAs has a suspect reputation. I've been trawling through some of the forum threads on the subject. Some say that they have overcome initial product problems and that their reputaion and reliability have improved significantly.
I don't want to cut the dash.
If i do go with a modern DIN head unit, i don't want is visable.
I like the CAS USA66 vintage look, but it ain't cheap.

So my question is, has the reliability of CAS's products improved with the USA66? Would anyone recommend the USA66 over a DIN type head unit?

• Sponsors (?)

Same here.
I'm seriously worried about the quality of Custom Autosound. At best it seems hit and miss 'if you get a good one'
I don't like the appearance of Retrosound.
Both are expensive for what you get.
I don't wanna cut the dash. I don't need CD or tape, I do need IPoD connectivity.

I'm thinking about a marine radio, with a hard wire remote, like the Clarion CMS1.
Mount the head unit in the glove box, it's just a box, run it off the remote, near the shifter. Looks slick, it'll be cheaper than either Custom Autosound or Retrosound. Make / buy a radio delete panel.

Newegg.com - Clarion CMS1 Marine Mechanism-less Source Unit

I feel the same way about the Retrosound. I have heard good things, but just don't really like the looks all that much. I don't like the idea of hidden radios with remotes. Id rather have a radio where its supposed to be, but thats just me.

That Clarion marine radio idea could be cool. I think I'd rather have the Retrosound unit though.

Just to close out the thread from my point of view. There was enough negative feedback from this and other bulletin boards to put me off buying either Custom Autosound or Retrosound. I've bought a Sony Digital Media receiver, no CD player. Don't know exactly where I'll be mounting it, but it'll probably be in the glove box.