custom chips

bonez95

Jun 7, 2003
Cleveland,Ohio
need a little help here. i just got my stang back up and running after sitting half of the summer up until a week ago when i finally got to crank over it's new stroker motor.it sounds great but the a/f gauge is pegged lean mind you the motor is still efi and i have not changed any thing about the stock computer. i just wanted to get an idear of what every one else is using chips or aftermarket computers? most of my mods are in my sig sorry i forgot to say it's a 95.

• Sponsors (?)

Thats a nice combo you have there.

Most people say the autometer gauge is nothing more then a light show.

But about the computer tuning.. IF you want to do it yourself, you could go with a tweecer, eec tuner, or something of that sort. The only problem with them is you dont know your real air/fuel ratio which can make it difficult to tune it properly. Unless you have a near by dyno then i would get a wideband to go with the tuner. I can vouch for the twEECer that its a great unit, but the learning curve is BIG, and you will need a laptop to make things easy and to datalog.

Otherwise you can just go with a custom burned chip. If there is a good tuner in your area, just give them a call and see how much it would be. Usually its in the 500 range.

i've got a dyno near by and a roush tunner near by who can burn chips but i will probally be adding a charger or spray at some point and i just don't want to keep paying for reburns on chips but i couldn't find any eec tuners that weren't 2 arms and a leg and my next born kid what's ball park on the self tuners

tweecer is 535 from the directly. Sometimes you can find them slightly used for a bit less.

But like i said, you wont know your actual A/F, so if you get a charger, your taking a risk tuning it urself without a wideband. If you add a wideband to the cost of the tweecer, its over 800 total. SO maybe a burned chip will be the cheapest way to go. Some tuners offer decent deals on a reburn.

the guy gave me a good price on the chip and dyno time under 500 for the combo he's a friend of a freind.thanks for the coment about the a/f gauge theirs only 1 red led on i was a little worry but it's got 55 psi i fuel all the time i just don't what the engine to melt a piston out. it doesn't even have 20 miles on it yet

Keep me posted on how the burned chip helps out your combo. I'm just finishing up my 347 project that's very similar to yours. How is the idle right now? I plan on starting mine up in the next day or so. I'll have it dyno'd shortly after that, maybe we can compare graphs. I'm really interested to see how your combo does compared to mine. My combo is the same rotating assembly as yours, with TFS High Port heads, Track Heat intake with no spacer, 30 lbs. injectors, 80mm MAF, 70mm Edelbrock throttle body, and the Anderson N-412 cam with 1.7 TFS rocker arms. Also, with that 1 inch spacer, do you have a different hood?

the idle is a little more choppy than i was expecting, it lobes pretty good for a street car as far as the spacer i have a 4 inch cervins cowl hood but i have seen a 3/8 spacer used with a stock hood it was close but it fit.you will probally beat me to the dyno i still have a couple of things to due to the car.so when you get the dyno numbers let me know i want to see what your combo is putting out