Custom dash for a 79 stang

alanw6

Dec 19, 2002
memphis, TN
Well, finally got a chance to do a custom project on a fox body again. It's been a while, as most of my time has been inside the S197's or 03/04 Cobras lately.

This is a gauge panel my friend and I made for a local friend of ours. He's building a 5.4L powered 79 Mustang. He wanted to change the dash up a bit, and we got involved. This is a "skin" which will reside over a more solid base assembly, and fit the factory dash panel location.

We used a new toy in our shop, a Microscribe G2 digitizer, to sample the points from the OEM panel, and based our CAD files on those dimesions. Here's a screenshot of the rendering:

153349.jpg

And here's the panel being test fit with a few gauges:

154649.jpg

Can't wait to see it in-car, and I'll try to get some pics when this happens.

Just wanted to share, as I don't get to work on fox body projects as much as I'd like to.

Alan :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the compliments.

Dave, see your email. :)

Haven't given much thought to selling the part. It's really just a skin, and would require serious gutting of your stock dash panel (to allow for gauge placement/clearance). That's what this owner is going to do, and perhaps use some sheet metal as a subframe.

I'll have to look at how the install works out, really just looking at it as a custom project at present.