Custom exotic wood gear shift knob.

TJC

Jan 13, 2012
Pacifica, CA
I have many cool looking custom made hardwood parts for my coffee gear in my kitchen and want to do the same for my 2011 GT's shift knob. I really love the look of Desert Ironwood. It's hard as nails, beautiful, and extremely durable. I wanted to find out if someone can help me figure out the threading for the knob that's stock on the car.
I've searched before posting and only found people showing pictures of cueball type aftermarket knobs, and when others have asked what the threading is, there's been conflicting advice, or the question is left hanging.

If anyone can tell me, I'd really appreciate it. I've tried unscrew the stock knob, but it doesn't seem to loosen. I've only managed to slightly rotate it. I dont' want to mess something up by just cranking on it.

View attachment 152340
Here's a picture of the wood I had in mind, made for a tamper for my espresso machine. Ironwood is hard and dense enough that it can be tapped directly and threaded on the shaft of the stock shifter arm, if there's no adapter or secondary piece required to put a different knob on. That's why I'm turning to the forum to ask.

1) What's the threading on the stock shift arm?
2) Does the stock knob just unscrew off, twisting counterclockwise, or is there something else to it?
3) Is there an adapter required to mount a non stock shift knob?

Thanks very much. I'll post some high quality pictures when I get it made and installed.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm a woodshop teacher and I like your idea. Ironwood is really neat. The thread's an M12 X 1.25, iirc. I'd still put a brass threaded insert in, if you can. Over time, the thread interface will soften. The knob just screws off anti-clockwise, yes. You'll want a long taper or spacer of some kind to match up with the recessed portion of the shift boot. you'll see what I mean when you take the knob off.

I've got an email into my woodworker, he's a busy guy who only does these projects on the weekend and only because he really enjoys it. Unfortunately, he's getting more and more popular and it takes a long time to get things finished, but they're worth the wait. I look forward to having something to share.

As to leaving it stock... um, no.

leave it stock? It's a shift knob, man, not a blower kit. The stock plastic 400A knob is particularly cheap, mushy and imprecise. Shift feel can be greatly improved with something more solid. I did the classic black resin ball myself.

I agree with TT5.0, I would put some kind of metal insert in there. Your coffee machine is probably treated a little more delicately that a shift knob. Over time I think it will loosen up. I like the idea, kind of the like knob on the Carrera GT. I remember having a hard time finding the right stop nut for my Roush shifter, Home Depot did not have the right nut. I think I had to go to Fastenal.

According to the MGW video on their shifter, some nobs are threaded on with blue loctite. They suggest using a strap to unscrew it.

It's a shift knob, not a blower kit (nice line!). cut your piece of stock, drill it and put the insert in. Then you can screw it onto a bolt, put it in a vice and go to town with some tools/coarse sandpaper. Hell, my kid could proably widdle it with his pocket knife :) If it loosens down the road, cracks, whatever, do it again! I think it's a cool idea however you do it!:nice:

It's the 1.25 thread. Most hardware store metric is 1.5. Finding 1.25 will take a specialty store, usually. I got my Sorby tools ready and my lathe fired up...if I find the time, I'll do something similar.

Let me clarify, leave it stock compared to what is being considered.

Agreed. I think the wood would look out of place. A nice leather, solid black resin, or some sort of aluminum to at least complement the interior would be nicer. To me it would look like someone just stuck a piece of wood on the shifter...with no rhyme nor reason.

I had a myrtle wood shift knob on my BMW, but it also had myrtle wood trim and looked nice. I wouldn't have put an aluminum knob on in that car for the same reasons.

Thanx for the idea! Heres what I came up with for a custom wooden shift knob. I know the naysayers wont like it but I think it looks sharp with my light tan interior!

Attachments

• Shift knob.jpg
    Shift knob.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,431
Nice. People should remember wooden shift knobs are just as authentically retro in a Mustang as the black resin ball shifters at least. I seem to recall some early Shelbys with Nardo wooden steering wheels and wooden shift knobs.

I'd like to see a profile shot of this.

Nice. People should remember wooden shift knobs are just as authentically retro in a Mustang as the black resin ball shifters at least. I seem to recall some early Shelbys with Nardo wooden steering wheels and wooden shift knobs.

I'd like to see a profile shot of this.

Agreed. Wood would not look good with my black/silver interior, but is a great touch for a tan interior. Keep it up guys, nothing wrong with being the creative ones that some criticize.