Custom front spoiler

• Sponsors (?)

First I braced the spoiler with steel. This is both to keep the spoiler from warping and to give us something real solid to mount it to. Everything you see in green is fiberglass resin and pieces of fiberglass cloth wrapped over the steel. The red parts are the steel that was left exposed. So to visualize there are two pieces, one along the bottom and one along the top that are covered by the green. The two pieces in red are welded between them. This is done on each side.

d

Next I had to weld pieces to the bottom of the frame on my front bumper. My bumper has been recently sandblasted, primed and painted flat black. This picture is of the bottom of the frame. The two pieces sticking out are what I created to mount the spoiler with. They are shaped like the letter T. The bolts are welded to the brackets and are shown in the pic. As you can see the brackets sweep back since the spoiler sits slightly behind the front bumper.

d

Here is a pic of the holes I drilled in the spoiler for mounting. Note that these holes go through the spoiler then through the steel pieces that are covered in fiberglass. The brackets shown in the previous pic bolt directly through these holes.

I regret I can't take a picture of the spoiler mounted to the car so you can see how it looks. My entire frontend is torn apart as I've had to do some engine work. Anyway the spoiler sits and looks very much like David Wilson's car which many of you are familiar with.

d

front spoiler

I also have the Mustangs Unlimited Front Spoiler. I havn't put it on or even tried to yet. Will I be able to bolt it right on? Are there holes already on the car for this application? Or will I have to do costom bracketry like you did?

Dan

Yes they do, but I was disappointed when I got it ..I could only stare at it and wonder how in the world I was going to mount it.. that is why I wanted to post what I done.. perhaps others can improve upon my ideas, but it is a good starting place.

d

wow, great job on mounting it. I didn't go that far with mine. I just bolted each side to the fender like the factory one. Then I used the 2 rods for the valance and bolted it to the top lip. It is very sturdy but the car hasn't been on the road yet. I should of spent the time and mounted it like you did.