Custom Hatch Ideas...

Busted07

I need my gorilla to be about an inch longer.
Nov 15, 2005
I have seen a few threads lately about subs and stuff in a notch, and what im looking for is just some general ideas on how some of you have put your subs in your hatch.

Limitations -

I have a trunk mount battery going in, ill have a bottle back there, I have a roll bar mounted to the wheelwells (eventually) and i have NO rear seats. Im looking for ideas on how to fill it up and make it look decent. I have not, nor have the patience to mess with fiberglass, so it will probably be wood, covered in carpet. I might do something with fiberglas later on, but for right now, im just looking for ideas. Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

so this is no good?

Attachments

• sub1.jpg
    sub1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 138
so this is no good?

Thats what im looking for! Just anything that will make my hatch look better. Its completely bare right now, and my battery will bein the same location as the one in your pic, tehn bottle will be on the other side, and im wanting to put subs / amp / whatever between them so it looks decent.

What kind of progress pics you looking for?

Like a general idea of how you built that. im not going to copy it, thatsa promise.. i wont steal someones work. Im just looking to see how people have attached stuff like what you have to the hatch. i dont want to put 100 holes in there if possible, im looking for ideas on how something like that is framed up.

Well......the sub box is one piece by itself. It simply sits between the two wheel humps in the hatch.

The piece that covers the hatch area simply fits in around the sub box and I have designed a piece of metal that bolts to the plastic at the rear of the hatch to hold it up. On the sides, it sits on top of the wheel humps.

The top piece is the stock plastic that has been recovered.

I made the large piece that covers the hatch area out of cardboard to use as a template. Then used 3/4" MDF for the final product. It is fairly heavy, but I don't race the car so I don't care.

No extra holes except the two that the metal bracket that holds up the hatch cover uses.

The hatch cover simply lifts in and out as I keep my roof under it.

Fairly simple design.

Both GREAT use of space...GREAT use. I myself am a little more 'old' :) I simply mounted a 200 amp bazooka tube in the trunk with a remote volume control by my seat....but again...old man and country never needs to be that loud lol. When not pushed to it's limits the bass added is really quite substantial...it surprises quite a few people.

These all look awesome! Once i get my other 400 projects done on the car, im going to attack the hatch next. Thanks for all the pics and explinations!

Thats what i have right now is a box with two 10" subs in it, but i dont want it to take up all the room in the hatch. i like the flipping it up idea, but man this box i have is heavy as hell and im wanting to make a smaller one.

I know what you mean. I wish mine was lighter too. Its freaking heavy. I like the way it sounds, but I do wonder if a smaller box would give me the same sound. Guess I'll just have to go to a sound shop and find out one day.

I do agree with you, right now I can still put most of the groceries in the back when I do the shopping. Don't want to lose any more room. Maybe after the kiddies are all grown up, I'll just do away with the back seat and form something up in the back. Still needs to be lightweight though