Custom Intake Plate

I want one that says "soon to be two four cylinders" or "2 years to build and 10 passes to rebuild"....lol. They look great.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

You guys are too wrapped up in these corners. Getting sharp corners on a mill isn't hard at all. Especially when it comes to CNC equipment. Not to mention, why would you mill that? Water jet would cut it exactly how you want it in a matter of minutes.

You guys are too wrapped up in these corners. Getting sharp corners on a mill isn't hard at all. Especially when it comes to CNC equipment. Not to mention, why would you mill that? Water jet would cut it exactly how you want it in a matter of minutes.
so how do you get a sharp inside corner on a mill? also how would you water jet that part? wouldnt that end up with the plate being cut through?

Even that looks to leave a small corner radius...

any thing done in a CNC will do that... say you take a end mill with a cutter head dia of .0625. and you have a tool path that moves 1 inch in the X direction then stops and moves 1 inch in the Y direction. so from 0,0 to 1,0 to 1,1 while it may command a straight path you will still have a corner radii of .03125. an outside corner on the other hand can be done sharp.

any thing done in a CNC will do that... say you take a end mill with a cutter head dia of .0625. and you have a tool path that moves 1 inch in the X direction then stops and moves 1 inch in the Y direction. so from 0,0 to 1,0 to 1,1 while it may command a straight path you will still have a corner radii of .03125. an outside corner on the other hand can be done sharp.

Oh yea, I know. I'm agreeing with you that a true sharp corner is pretty much impossible with an end mill.

It doesn't matter since you're casting them anyway, but it's fun debate nonetheless. ;)

You guys are too wrapped up in these corners. Getting sharp corners on a mill isn't hard at all. Especially when it comes to CNC equipment.

How are you going to cut sharp interior corners with a round cutter?

Not to mention, why would you mill that? Water jet would cut it exactly how you want it in a matter of minutes.

You water jet the initial cutout(plate itself) then put it on a mill and do all of your design work. CNC mills can work wonders haha

Why would you cut the plate out on a water jet and then move it to a mill for the rest when you could just do all the operations on a mill in the first place?

You guys are killing me...:bang:

I could care less how it gets done.... just as long as it gets done.
:dead:
How it looks like you have it modeled it can't be done per the model.

Also I've been doing design work for about 13 years now so little things you can change can make a machinest job easier.

How it looks like you have it modeled it can't be done per the model.

Also I've been doing design work for about 13 years now so little things you can change can make a machinest job easier.

I agree that it can't be machined "exactly" like I have it modeled. It was just a concept rendering. nothing more.
The actual part for casting has been machined. The corners are tapered which looks great.
I've been doing mechanical design and CAD work for 21 years but I don't claim to be an expert on machining processes by any means.
Thanks for the input.

Chris