Custom trunk setup, critique/thoughts?

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i currently have 2 alpine amps, a 10" ported box and my battery in the trunk of my notch. i get groceries in my car alot, literally. it is pretty ghetto right now in there.

i made an amp rack which functions well, keeps amps at the front of the trunk. the sub box is just "sat" on top of the spare tire well/carpet. so the carpet is stretched around the box, my battery is not enclosed either.

i work at a fabrication shop, so i want to get a little creative here. this is my plan, if anyone has done this, give me your thoughts.

making new amp rack, turning it vertical against the face of the trunk. i have a firewall in place already. running mounting bolts/screws though the amp rack and securing it to the fire wall. wires hidden and trunk space gained from rotating amps verticle.

subwoofer enclosure built into spare tire well. now i am contemplating two routes here. keeping my box for it and then building the deck for the trunk over top of it.. OR

making a sealed ring around the outside of the spare tire well. sealing the spare tire well essentially when the new raised deck is screwed down on top of it. then cutting the hole for the sub. this would be like a sealed box and still sound good as well. i figure this to be the easiest way for a sealed box compared to fiberglassing an enclosure then mounting that.

i also took dimensions of my optima battery/hold down. i want to make a box out of 10g aluminum and powdercoat it flat black to semi-match the carpeting the new floor will have. i made the dimensions roughly 1/2" spacing around the widest portions of the battery. this is sufficient correct? i will notch the lid/box for the cables to exit.

the final step here is to take the trunk liners out and reinforce them with fiberglass. im sick of removing the damn things and watching them crumble infront of me. i pulled a perfect set from the junkyard and sold them for huge profit cause they werent broken. mint shape or not, these things are weak and break easily.

so end result will be a fully functioning/functional trunk with no space lost except for the thickness of my amps in the front and the square from my battery. what do you think?

• Sponsors (?)