Cut a swirl in the EGR?

C6AE

Mar 22, 2004
Ma.
Think it would make a difference?
I have a 65mm TB, and a 67mm EGR to put on my stock intake. I noticed the opening on the intake is only 63.5mm, might just open that up too.

We used to do stuff like that to our bikes when I was racing them thinking that the additional air motion would help atomize the gas , different air/fuel delivery system here though...:nice:

Sometimes it's good to work in a machine shop :D

• Sponsors (?)

I know that Motorvation sells a spacer with the swirl design cut into it. I just don't think it would make much if any difference.

As it passes the EGR down the straightaway, the air goes into a large opening at the back of the intake and is drawn into individual runners, then into the lower intake. By the time It reaches the area of the injectors to be mixed with fuel. I think it would have lost most if not all of its twisting effect.

Maybe I'm wrong.

With all the activity with in the lower intake, the motorvation will have no impact on airflow.
Cutting in a swirl pattern may have an affect, IF it is done just before the valve.
To my knowledge this has never been tried...

jason

The air won't be in the EGR spacer long enough to do anything. All the swirls will do is create turbulence slowing the air down, not really spin it like a vortex.

You are better off polishing it inside than swirling it.

Swirls sometimes cause the flud in question to flow slower. Ever notice that your bathtub drains slower if the water swirls around the drain vs breaking the swirl up and letting the water drain down on it's own straight in.

I know it's not technically the same idea however.