Cut springs or buy cheap lowering springs on ebay?

9646gt

Apr 7, 2005
Holloman AFB,NM
Well I can't stand this 4x4 look any longer...I was sitting out side the mall where I work and a bad ass black gt like mine ..same year and all rooled up and was lowered alot...I asked him what springs he used and he said he had jsut cut them the day before...I THINK he said he did 2 coils out back and one coil up front...it looked VERY good and he said the camber was not bad at all and neither was the ride...my question is..should I do this till I get the money for good springs around the end of the year or should I simply buy some cheap springs like maxspeeed or what ever on ebay for under 100 bux plush S&H? any opinions are welcome..I have cut the spings before on my old celica and it didnt hurt anything but the camber was off a little..and I was even able to cut them on the car...jacking up the car let the wheels sag and uncompressed the springs alot...

• Sponsors (?)

exindust said:
If yer gunna be cheap just by Ford C Springs for not much more from Mustangtuning.com its not worth the potential problems you could be getting yourself into.

Thats not to bad of a price ..but will that 1.25 be a big enough difference in appearance? I know the mac springs are like 189 but they are a minimum of 1 1/2 inch drop...anyone have a picture of a 94-98 with jsut a 1-1.25 drop?

exindust said:
If yer gunna be cheap .

There is a difference between being cheap and broke my friend :D I am by no means cheap lol..if I had the money in my pocket right now my car would be lowered tonight heh..jsut a matter of being broke..maybe I never should have moved out of home lol

Cutting springs is fine up to a point. Theres A dead coil that you can cut off, but when the guy cut off 2, he messed up the dynamics of the spring.

Save up your money, and buy the FRPP C-springs, or cut off 1 coil, nothing more.

Stang|ess said:
Cutting springs is fine up to a point. Theres A dead coil that you can cut off, but when the guy cut off 2, he messed up the dynamics of the spring.

Save up your money, and buy the FRPP C-springs, or cut off 1 coil, nothing more.

I am guessing one coil should give at least a 1 inch drop correct? This would give it a decent look until I get CC plates and good springs ....

9646gt said:
There is a difference between being cheap and broke my friend :D I am by no means cheap lol..if I had the money in my pocket right now my car would be lowered tonight heh..jsut a matter of being broke..maybe I never should have moved out of home lol

I hear ya on that one. Im 20 and just moved out. Just dont cut too many or else youll end up bouncing into a ditch :(

exindust said:
I hear ya on that one. Im 20 and just moved out. Just dont cut too many or else youll end up bouncing into a ditch :(

LOL yeah my buddy cut his and slammed it..its a 97 with an 02 PI motor and it bounces like a honda or something..I dont want to slam it jsut at least get it out of the air a little..as it sits I can change my oil with no jack and I am not that skinny lol.. Im like 5'11 or so and about 145 lbs

9646gt said:
..I dont want to slam it jsut at least get it out of the air a little..as it sits I can change my oil with no jack and I am not that skinny lol.. Im like 5'11 or so and about 145 lbs

Those were the days, just slide under and change the oil

I havent been able to change my oil with out the lift for two years

i even have to use a floor jack just to get it high enough so can put i on the lift

Cutting your springs will be fine just dont go too crazy

Make sure you cut them identical and reinstall them identical

If you cannot afford to do it right wait until you can. If you half a$$ because of impatience and lack of funds you will just have to do it again later and it will probably cost more in the long run.

machwon04 said:
Sorry to jack the thread, but real quick, what is the deal with the Ford C Springs? Can you cut them to whatever you want?

Ford C and B Springs come with a dead coil that can be cut. The dead coil doesn't do anything except change the ride height. I didn't cut any off the front of my coils but I cut about 3/4 of a coil off of the rears.

I would look for a used set of decent springs on ebay first. they way people change there cars around you may get lucky.

if not get some cheap drop springs off ebay and then sell them when you can afford good ones. they have maxspeed and dropzone on there. I would try to find the rates and drops though deciding between them.

Cutting can be a bit crappy becasue with the same rate you can bottom the car out. also there is a bit of trial and error to it. if you cut too much you car will be on the bumpstops.

MaxxMundo said:
Ford C and B Springs come with a dead coil that can be cut. The dead coil doesn't do anything except change the ride height. I didn't cut any off the front of my coils but I cut about 3/4 of a coil off of the rears.

Where exactly do you cut the dead coil? I just got my C springs today, and want to cut the rears to even out the drop, but I am not exactly sure where to cut them.