Cutting coil springs while installed?

65intex

Sep 16, 2006
Ft. Worth, Texas
Anyone ever try cutting the coils while installed? Had the front end of the car up last night and noticed that it would be easy to make the cut and take good measurements before cutting. Who has done this? I know this is some shade tree mechanic work but just wanted to ask first.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Danger Will Robinson! If there is any load on the spring I would not consider it. If it is loose enough to turn by hand it could work, but if it is loose it would be easy to remove as well.

The "Accident"

Exactly how did you manage this?

I don't want to make fun of you, I'm sincerely curious.

One of my customers lost three fingers over the weekend to a MTA bus when some fluke thing happened so I'm more than morbidly interested.

Its ok, I'm not exactly sure, I was putting the spring back in and one of the claws bumped against the fender well i think, and it suddenly released. It was very scary. I'm lucky all it did was break my finger. I then ordered one from the guy off ebay, the kind that bolts to the spring perch and shock tower. Much better design! A little bit slower, but very safe.

I cut the coils on the car. Leave the shock in and cut. Oh, I jack the car up so there is less tension on the spring. If you cut a full coil, that coil will need to be cut again to get it out from around the shock. I use an angle grinder with cut-off discs, takes about a minute per side. A sawzall takes longer. I've never used a spring compressor to remove the coils. I think those things are dangerous.

+1 to latamud.

What kind of coils are you cutting? If they are 1" drop 620's you shouldn't have to compress them at all. If you unbolt the bottom of the shock it should lower the upper A-arm to give you enough slack to rotate the spring out, or atleast to a good place to cut. I haven't cut mine yet but plan to do it as latamud described.

I removed my 6cyl springs with an external spring compressor last weekend - scared me good, even though nothing happened. Since I was doing the Shelby drop at the same time I was able to unbolt the upper A arm to manuever the springs out.

+1 to latamud.

What kind of coils are you cutting? If they are 1" drop 620's you shouldn't have to compress them at all. If you unbolt the bottom of the shock it should lower the upper A-arm to give you enough slack to rotate the spring out, or atleast to a good place to cut. I haven't cut mine yet but plan to do it as latamud described.

tjnavyblue,

Im cutting the stock coils, still havent got the spring compressor from the store so I might give your recommendation a shot. Never dawned on me to unblot the shock to get move slack from the A-arm.