cutting coils from springs

matsm21

Sep 5, 2003
Long Island
I have the BBK specific rate springs.(not in the car yet) they are supposed to drop the car 1.5 inches. after doing a little more research I decided I want a two inch drop. How much should I cut off to get this extra .5 inch?
and, two double check, it's OK to cut specific rate springs, right? its the progressives that you cannot cut.
thanks for any help

• Sponsors (?)

Either way, when you cut the spring, the distance is different so therefore the spring rate will increase. I suggest not doing this and selling them on ebay or something of that sort and buying sportline springs or the H & Rs. If you do not have to manipulate items, then don't do it.

UDTBadkarma said:
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree.
I have no experience with cutting springs, but i personally just wouldn't do it.
But let us know how it goes.
Yes I know I wouldn't do it either
I don't think it's worth it! I would just purchase a set of springs that
lower it to the ride height you want and return the BBK springs.
You should look into the Eibach Sportlines or H&R springs if you are
looking for a two inch drop! Good Luck

There is nothing wrong with cutting the spring as long as you do not heat it while doing so. Use a band saw, cutoff wheel, or chop saw.

BryanRoush3 is correct, a cut spring will increase the spring rate and make your car ride a bit stiffer, but with as little as you need to cut to get a 1/2" drop, I don't think you would ever notice.

On most cars one coil = about 2" so jeffnoel is probably correct. Try a 1/4 coil.

Darkhorse845 I wouldn't cut the springs that isn't safe
What would make you say that? :nonono: