Cutting stock springs

Sevan

Founding Member
Dec 4, 2001
IL
I was wondering if anyone has cut there stock springs, like one coil? I dont know exactly where to cut them if its possible. Any pros and cons with cutting the springs? I know I can get lowering springs and make life eaiser, but I got a set of stock springs for a great price and dont want to spend the extra money now. I'm doing my whole suspension this weekend and was interested in hearing your ideas of cutting springs. The sock springs that I have are off a 2000 GT mustang, if that helps. If any one has pics, please post them.

Thanks

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

did you cut the top or bottom part of the spring. Would you happen to know if there is a write up on exactly where to cut the spring?

tom2001gt said:
I cut a coil off the front and it looks pretty good and still rides the same. If its to low you can always buy springs later but I had no problems with mine.

you can cut springs but if you're serious about performance they aren't going to help you. when you heat a spring it ruins it. the spring may work, but the rates won't be right. cutting stock springs is the "ricers" way of lowering. it will look "mad kool, yO" but performance will suffer and most likely ride quality as well. it's your choice but you're better off doing it right the first time. if for no other reason your car *could* become a safety hazard for you and others on the road.

-steve

I had someone cuts my springs for me but I'm not positive on how much was cut. I just asked him to cut a little as possible (1/2 coil if possible) since all I really wanted was to bring the front down even with the rear. And I definately didn't want the car slammed. At the time I was having my b-springs (which ironically did "slam" my front end) removed. Turned out better than expected. Here's a side shot. It's a bit deceiving since the car was parked on a slight downward level.

pic_3.jpg

ill advised, thanks for the pics. Did you lose any performance or stability in the ride. I like the stance no the ride. BTW I like whatyou did you your rims. :nice:

ill advised said:
I had someone cuts my springs for me but I'm not positive on how much was cut. I just asked him to cut a little as possible (1/2 coil if possible) since all I really wanted was to bring the front down even with the rear. And I definately didn't want the car slammed. At the time I was having my b-springs (which ironically did "slam" my front end) removed. Turned out better than expected. Here's a side shot. It's a bit deceiving since the car was parked on a slight downward level.

pic_3.jpg

I cut one coil off the springs at each corner. Sits like the stang in the picture, but with 96 cobra rims.

Do not use a torch to cut the spring!! It can be done but if f's them up.
A chop saw,reciprocating saw will do. I used a reciprocating saw for the front ones (PITA) and a 3" high speed air cutter for the rears (still a PITA).