Cylinder Heads

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by louielongrod, May 20, 2013.

1. louielongrod

louielongrod New Member

HeadsCan anyone tell me if its possible to install 4.6 cylinder heads on a 02 mustang backwards.I installed the heads and in the driver rear head there is oil coming out of a hole that has threads on it i didn't take anything of the heads when i took them off other then the bolts that hold the head to the block and the exhaust manifold bolts.Could be that the machine shop forgot to install that part after they worked on it.

2. 1low03gt

1low03gt Member

Yes, their is a right, and left, only because of the plugs that are in place of areas like you stated. The rear of the heads will have those hole(s) plugged.

3. rockyracoon

rockyracoon Member

It has been my understanding that the heads are reversible.

just take the plugs and move em around back.

4. 1low03gt

1low03gt Member

Some are pressed in, some are threaded in..... that will be his issue, plus the lack of room behind the head to see, and get at them while they are on the engine in the car.

5. Three50won

Three50won Member

Yea the heads are reversible. And that happened to me on a brand new engine that I had built. The threaded holes can be plugged even with the engine in the car. However, the only problem you may have is that you might have messed up your bearings if the engine is new or if it had sat for a while...depending on how long it ran before you noticed the oil issue and shut it off. My engine ran fine but after a few months it developed an internal oil leak. Hopefully that won't happen to you.