D&D Motorsport CC plate question

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Howdy folks,

Got a quick question for those using these CC plates (though others might be able to answer).

I picked up a set of these some time ago. They were new but second-hand to me(supposedly bought for a car and never installed). I did a mock-up with them but think I need a different bumpstop (that mounts to the top of the strut's dust cover). The stock one doesn't allow much movement.

If I need something, would it be like CC-1 on MM's site (I cant get the link to work).

If not, please let me know what I need, of course cheapest possible would be great. :D

FWIW, I think I have an older version of these 4 bolt plates.

And for those that do run these (in a positive orientation), how high does the strut rod stick up above the strut tower? I look to be about 2.5" and that doesnt sit real well with me. Did anyone add or change the spacer configuration? I run a Prokit with Tokico HPs.

Thanks for any and all info. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I was just told that most applications don't require running any bump stops at all. Hmm. I guess I can give that a shot. :shrug:

I'm using those plates though I have no clue as to what exactly you're asking.

The real question is how in the world can you possibly have over 26,000 posts?!? That's insane!!

When you pulled the dust cover off the strut, you removed that rubber bushing (aka bumpstop that sits against the underside of the strut tower).

Did you just put the dust cover back on the strut (without any sort of rubber bushing or bump stop), and finish the CC plate install? Or did you install any sort of a new rubber bushing on top of the dust cover (you'd probably have had to use a zip tie to secure the bushing back onto the dust cover, in case that rings a bell)?

Thanks for the reply brah.

This was just a weird one to me because I've not used CC plates before that didnt come with bump stops. I've never postulated about whether I could not use them.

As for your last: I like hanging out in here, hence the posts. :)

I recall some rubber thingies I pulled off which I suppose you could call bump stops. There was one upper and lower upon which the spring sat on. I have neither rubber "bump stops" or the dust covers anymore because I replaced the entire setup with coil overs. I looked through all of my pictures for something showing the underside but was unable to find anything acceptable. I'd run out and take some reference pics for you but I'm currently in Afghanistan.

I can, however, help you with the rod length poking out up top. I had a similar problem with what seemed like an excessive amount of rod exiting the plate. I ended up using a spacer about an inch long on the bottom and one about a half inch on top. This is the best picture I could find which shows the CC plate. Hope it helps a bit.

stang115.jpg

Thank you very much for the great info, picture and for your service. :flag:

I think you're talking about the spring isolators. The bottom one slides onto the bottom coil and the top one sits between the top spring coil and the upper perch.

I'm talking about the bushing for the strut. In OEM form, it seems to physically keep the strut from going through the strut tower. It sits against the bottom portion of the stock CC plate (remember how that bottom plate - the one with the studs - had a cup? That cup received the bump stop). It is also is the top-most thing attached to the dust cover for the strut.

Once the components are reconfigured for CC plates, that bushing is gone and the MM bumpstop is shown to be in its old location. So a rubber donut bushing is removed and a MM bumpstop replaces it. And the factory bumpstop (hidden under the dust boot) is removed altogether. It's confusing because the bumpstop changes location.

I might just man-up and try installing these without a bump stop of any sort. If I do, I'll snap a pic of the bump stop before I cut it off the dust cover.

After I saw your pic and before I read your narrative, I thought you were going to joke about how you ensured that the strut-rod height was least of your height concerns. :rlaugh: That motor is a beaut!

Thank you very much again. I really appreciate your thoughts. :nice:

Apparently my wit wasn't as quick as yours. Actually I'm not worried about the height of the engine at all since I'm obviously going to need to cut a hole in the hood anyway. I'm worried about even being able to put a hood on there at all! If you look carefully, the end of the back cover for the blower stops literally less than an inch from the firewall. It's close enough that I won't be able to have any room for the hood to cross behind the blower. Then in the front, there is a ridiculously huge blower pulley taking up some prime real estate. From my preliminary measurements it looks as if I'll have about four inches of hood running in front of the blower connecting the two halves of the hood. Not cool!

I looked further into the bumpstop thingamajigger (technical term) and realized that I am not utilizing it at all due to my coil over setup. In fact, I had to remove the shroud on the upper strut body. If I were to guess, I would say that the bumpstop is not a critical piece. Obviously though, if you ever do a big wheelie and slam back to earth you will cause damage to your shocks and your plates. I'd say don't stress it.