Da noive of some people…

2+2GT

10 Year Member
Apr 25, 2009
Southeastern Pennsylvania
Da noive of some people…

Stopped by Glazier/Nolan today, heard an interesting story. They had a call a few weeks ago, guy wanted to know if "major body part" A was better than "major body part" B. They told him A was superior, which is why they listed it. Didn't hear from the guy from then until today. He called back, apparently bought a pair of "major body part" B from a big-box Mustang parts dealer, said he had a pair of "major body part" B, and they didn't fit well at all, and what could he do to make them work. They asked what the big-box dealer said, and they apparently had no idea how to fix it, so he called G/N for advice.

Now remember, this guy has not bought so much as a bolt from G/N.

Funny thing, they did advise him (I guess customer service is a hard habit to break, even if you stretch the meaning of 'customer'). Told him (A and B) was not appropriate for his intended project, too much of the car needed to be cut out to use them. Should have used another part entirely for his intended project. And if he intended to proceed, (rather that return hard-to-ship part B) how he could best make it work.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm in IT as far as my occupation goes but I deal with the exact same thing all the time.

My friend is a Marine and those guys have a saying.... You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. If it wont drink.... drownd the f***ing horse.

Some times I want to drownd "customers".....

I think you are right that organizations with truly good customer service do it habitually. Two other things here. First, good customer service often involves some amount of expertise, and I think there is something rewarding about using that expertise. Second, customer service is at least as much about the next purchase as the current one.

Of course, the guy who called them is a piece of work.

I see this all the time at work. A customer will buy a competitor's product, then come to us expecting us to install it.

That's about all I can say without saying what I do or who I work for, which I'd rather not. Not that I'm ashamed, our company is kicking ass right now, but I just don't think it's appropriate.