Daily Driver Tires for GT in NC - Pole Postion's? Opinions?

Well for the past few years I have been running the Firehawks SZ50 / SZ50EP. Since the stopped making them I tried the Firehawk Wide Oval's (suck).:notnice:

So I am in the market for a new daily driver tire that has good traction and tire ware. I am not taking this to the track or anything like that.

Nor have I ran an all season tire for the past 3 winters so no need for that. I just dont drive in the snow unless I have to and when I did I had no problems on a Summer performance tire.

So I am thinking about:
S-03 Pole Positions - Found a great sale on these!
RE050A Pole Positions

I know most people around here prefer Nitto 555's or some KDW's, but how long do those last? I would like to get about 20K miles out of them atleast, I usually get about 25K+ with my old firehawks.

I would like to stay under $200/tire.

~K

• Sponsors (?)

BFG KD's they are expensive but they are great tires. i am currently running the firestone wide ovals and i like them. they are an inch narrower than my BFG's of the same size but i like them for the street.

when you get ready to buy the tires shoot me a PM i work at a tire shop in the Garner NC area and i can get you a good deal!

The pole positions are a great tire coming off a 265 Fuzion zri, they hook WAY more, it's even tough to chirp second when the tires are heated....I'd recommend them!!! Only downfall is the price 300/each and that was from tire rack

Well Tirerack has the S-03 Pole Positions 245/45/17 on sale for $109 each.

So I called my firestone and they beat tireracks price by a little and they will handle all the road hazard. So I got all four installed / warrantied for $600!

~K

I like the Nitto 555...That's what I have and they last a while. Plus they're really good in the rain...I have not hydroplained yet!! and they've been on since last Dec. I've been to the track a few times and still have plenty of tred. Plus they're a lot cheaper than the stock tires...i got the 245's for $125 ea. I'm guessing you're still at 17/245's?

Those stock tires, I couldn't count how many times i've hydroplained in the rain.
Plus this is commin from someone in NC who drives my car every day....to work & back is ~60miles so I've put some miles on these tires. :nonono:

nitto 555 or KDW. the KDWs were worthless when it iced over 2 years ago (when raleigh more or less shut down because everyone got on the road and compacted what little snow there was) and back in 2003 my nittos were wirthless in the snow... however, thats what 3 weeks out of 4 years? so... yeah.i like the KDW and the 555. trying goodyear GSD3 next to see if i like it next. take yer pick. never been a fan of pole position myself, shrug.

Torinalth

2002GreyGT said:
Well Tirerack has the S-03 Pole Positions 245/45/17 on sale for $109 each.

I saw that as well. I was all set to buy them except i read a review that said to not drive them at temps at or below freezing.

Since i live in New England, i'll be spending a few months at that temp, so i'm a little weary of buying a summer-only tire for winter use.

ALl-season tires have crappy looking tread patterns, I want something sporty and aggressive looking

VOORHEES said:
I'm putting the General Exclaim UHP on my GT this weekend. Heard alot of good things about them and good reviews @ TireRack.com Under $100 each
I had BF Goodrich/Goodyear 255/40/17's all around (can't remember name, and the tires were discontinued). They were really great for handling compared to the stockers.

I purchased the General Exclaims @ 245/45/17 after those wore out. Treadlife so far is really good. Straightline performance has picked up a bit. While turning performance has suffered, but that's to be expected. I will buy these again when the time comes for new tires.

Penguin said:
I had BF Goodrich/Goodyear 255/40/17's all around (can't remember name, and the tires were discontinued). They were really great for handling compared to the stockers.

I purchased the General Exclaims @ 245/45/17 after those wore out. Treadlife so far is really good. Straightline performance has picked up a bit. While turning performance has suffered, but that's to be expected. I will buy these again when the time comes for new tires.

Wow, what a difference. My old Kumhos were trash compared to these General UHP's. Nice and quiet on any surface. Turning performance might suffer, but I have been suffering over the last year with the 4x4 sound that came from the Kumhos.
I'm happy with my GT again.