Dale Jarrett Mustang Concept Feeback Requested

bt15

Sep 3, 2003
Oahu
Dale Jarrett Mustang Concept Feedback Requested

I am partners in a venture to offer a new performance-oriented Mustang to the buying public. We have secured licensing and capital to create the concept cars and anticipate having them ready for demonstration in the spring. I realize there is some formidable, established competition already present in the market place in the form of Steeda, Saleen, and Roush to name some of the more prevalent marketers.

What we are offering is a similar "package" or "level" approach to the production options, completed primarily using off-the-shelf parts, with some proprietary equipment, and exclusive aesthetics. The biggest differences we see offered are: 1) Established Dale Jarrett racing pedigree, 2) Dale Jarrett Ford in Monroe, NC will provide the primary outlet, 3) The cost of our vehicles are projected to significantly undercut the primary competitors, while offering even greater performance. Some of the partners / suppliers include ATI Procharger, FRPP, and Xenon to name a few.

SEMA provided us with the perfect forum for hammering out the details of the concept and all systems are go. Suppliers are falling all over themselves to see this through to fruition. I'm trying to establish the level of "grass roots" support there is among buyers for such a venture so that we can determine that we are looking at the proper niche.

So whaddaya think? I think that if we produce them, you will come. With the hole in the market left in the absence of the Cobra for 2005 and possibly 2006, are we headed the right direction? Fire away!!

Thanks for your input. Response from users like you is the key to keeping the market exciting, interesting, and evolving. We hope to see you placing an order soon!

• Sponsors (?)

The wife would kill me if I bought another ride but the idea of getting a legendary NASCAR driver such as Jarrett involved is awesome and will bring instant respect to your venture. I cant wait to see the concept :nice:

ps if its really hot I might be tempted to trade my stock 05 in ;)

Hey,I am an big D.J. fan and would love to have a car like the Roush or others carring the Jarrett badge.Just one request the wife says the next one has to be a convertable. :banana:

You want an honest opinion and you shall have it.

Personally I think it would depend on the look of the vehicle. I am not a nascar fan. So if it had stock cars numbers on it (Such as the Earnhart 3 and signature on some chevy's.) Count me out. And though I know that Dale Jarret is a nascar driver. His pedigree in racing counts for nothing (To me) since I don't follow any of the stock car racing (I prefer F1 or speed gt). I would also need to see what you consider "Styling". I have not been terribly impressed with most of the tuners. Price is going to be a major factor. And though you want to have it sell for less than the other tuners. I will hold out for the real pricing. As the saying about best intentions goes...

Im a huge Dale Jarrett and Robert Yates fan. Id definitly buy a Jarrett performance product before a Roush, especially if the perfomance was comparable and priced less. :nice: :nice:

i dont think you even need to ask this question!!! if it looks good even stock would be fine and has better performance then saleen , roush, etc for less money people will buy it!!!! includidng me!! im anti nascar so the name means nothing to me but im sure people in kentucky will be happy to hear dj is behind this venture!!

For me it would be about performance. Yes, I want a car that looks nice, but I would rather a car that I knew it fast and well built. I won't pay for styling pieces and a couple of badges.(roush stage 1&2). Pull the 3v, forge it, blueprint it, port it, blow it and add some larger cams and then put it back it. drop it a little and some larger rims and tires.

-Michael

Hmmm.... not so sure about that one. While I appreciate the price v. performance argument, I doubt you will be able to match Ford in the price per dollar area (which is why the Cobra is so great). And, with all the expected SE's coming from the blue oval, I would wait and see what they have in store long before I would buy a tuner car. And, since the SE should come out in a year or two, the "Cobra hole" won't be there for long.

I also like picking my own parts, instead of using your partners. For example, I would rather have a twin screw from F/I for the low-rpm torque for the street driving that I do. Right now, I am much more inclined to build it my way (not that it is better or anything, it just fits my ideas and use more precisely).

I also would have to wait and see on your finished product from a styling standpoint. That is entirely subjective. And I am not all that impressed so far. To the point where I am thinking of making my own kit.

And finally, the Dale Jarrett name means absolutely nothing to me for Mustangs since Dale Jarett has nothing at all to do with Mustangs. Now, if Ford actually built a two-door Taurus that might be a different stoy.

However, if you did it much like Dell sells computers (built to user spec from different options), that I would definitely be interested in.

Thanks for the Input thus Far!

Ladies and gentlemen,

I knew I could count on this cohort for honesty and great ideas. I appreciate all the feedback thus far and since we're still forming partnerships with suppliers, nothing's out of the question, yet.

As for the styling, you can anticipate it will be distinct, but subtle. DJ appreciates a more subtle look combined with more aggressive performance.

Good intentions aside, this project is well underway and with the type of response I'm receiving here and via other venues, it appears we are headed in the right direction.

Once again, thanks for the responses and keep 'em coming! :nice:

I think something to compete with the super expensive Saleen, Steeda and Roush Mustangs would be great.

My opinion is to put performance oriented parts on the car to achieve a level of looks and operation that exceeds today's '05 Ford offering. I'd leave off the NASCAR oriented decals and paint schemes (i.e. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. Monte Carlo).

Let Dale Jarrett's name with the car be based on it's performance reputation, not a bunch of gaudy looking decals and wild paint.

Sleek, subtle and fast!

I'd be more into performance enhancements and only a clean and understated body change would be acceptable. Wings and flaps don't make it nowadays. You just have to model it after DJ's personality, easy going but when it comes to race time, watch out!
(Make sure it comes in a color other than brown!!!)

I too would kep any gaudy graphics off the car. Dont call it a "Dale Jarrett edition" or anything like that, I dont think it worked too well for Chevrolet with the "Earnhardt Editions" they had.

Now I REALLY like the whole," if you did it much like Dell sells computers (built to user spec from different options)" idea.

No-one really offers that now except for Steeda, if you live near enough to them anyway.

From the other end of the financial spectrum, what I like from the tuners is to be able to buy the parts, do the work myself and keep my stock look. That way, you can have the performance, the handling and the braking of a Steeda Q400, but otherwise look like your run of the mill GT. Plus, I'm not too worried about the parts not being compatible with each other, having bought them all from the same place.

And doing a little bit every winter while the car is in storage keeps the financial impact bearable.

Some Clarification

Just to clear up a few things. First of all, UPS is in no way involved with this project, so unfortunately (ha!), the cars will be offered in colors other than brown. Dale Jarrett is endorsing this project separately and distinct from UPS.

Further, although buyers will have an options sheet to help customize the car, there will be certain minimum requirements (standard items included in the packages) to ensure we don't water it down too much. In other words, there will be "standard" DJ items required to be a legitimate package. We don't want to see some guy come in and order the package, minus everything but the stickers and badges and then go out and show off his "Dale Jarrett Performance Mustang" by getting embarrassed by a stock 1972 Pinto Pony. In fact, the only likely options will consist of items such as various wheel / tire combos, opting for an auto or stick car, and some graphics. So far there is no plan to offer the package on non-V8 cars. The door isn't closed on that idea, but certainly the initial demonstrator cars will be V8s.

As an aside, I'm very sorry to hear that any dealership would treat a potential customer with anything but the utmost professionalism and sincerity. I'm a car guy first and foremost, and lean very strongly towards the blue oval variety. I've had mixed dealings with new car dealers of all brands. It seems to be related primarily to the individual salesman, but sometimes you run into a bad one. I've found that one of the best ways to contend with sour salesmen is to request to speak with the sales manager and / or ask to be introduced to a different sales person. Often times, the tune changes. If you're still interested in a Dale Jarrett Performance Mustang, I certainly wouldn't turn you away! I know which side my bread's buttered on; the CUSTOMER side.

P.S., Sweet Galaxie!! My old man had a white one similar to yours (albeit a 4-door) and that car is what got me hooked on Fords.

bt15 said:
Just to clear up a few things. First of all, UPS is in no way involved with this project, so unfortunately (ha!), the cars will be offered in colors other than brown. Dale Jarrett is endorsing this project separately and distinct from UPS.

Further, although buyers will have an options sheet to help customize the car, there will be certain minimum requirements (standard items included in the packages) to ensure we don't water it down too much. In other words, there will be "standard" DJ items required to be a legitimate package. We don't want to see some guy come in and order the package, minus everything but the stickers and badges and then go out and show off his "Dale Jarrett Performance Mustang" by getting embarrassed by a stock 1972 Pinto Pony. In fact, the only likely options will consist of items such as various wheel / tire combos, opting for an auto or stick car, and some graphics. So far there is no plan to offer the package on non-V8 cars. The door isn't closed on that idea, but certainly the initial demonstrator cars will be V8s.

As an aside, I'm very sorry to hear that any dealership would treat a potential customer with anything but the utmost professionalism and sincerity. I'm a car guy first and foremost, and lean very strongly towards the blue oval variety. I've had mixed dealings with new car dealers of all brands. It seems to be related primarily to the individual salesman, but sometimes you run into a bad one. I've found that one of the best ways to contend with sour salesmen is to request to speak with the sales manager and / or ask to be introduced to a different sales person. Often times, the tune changes. If you're still interested in a Dale Jarrett Performance Mustang, I certainly wouldn't turn you away! I know which side my bread's buttered on; the CUSTOMER side.

P.S., Sweet Galaxie!! My old man had a white one similar to yours (albeit a 4-door) and that car is what got me hooked on Fords.

Well whatever you guys build, I'm sure it will be better than the Boss Shinoda's of late.