Dallas Auto Show - '05 Stang GT: a review

license2ill

May 7, 2003
Okay, I just returned from the 2005 Auto Show at the Dallas Convention Center in downtown Dallas and here is my personal reaction to the '05 Mustang GT. Note: The thread made by ~B7~ provides some excellent pictures of the car that I was looking at.
Personally I was rather unimpressed with the new '05 Stang. IMHO, The car's exterior design exhibited all the flair and excitement that you'd come to expect in a Hertz Rent-A-Car. The interior was thankfully a little different story though. A little too retro for me personally, but all in all it looks much better and a whole lot more comfortable than our sn95's to say the very least. A vast improvement in that particular department I'd say. The car seemed a little long in it's overall length compared to the sn95. To sum it all up, I can't really envision your average teenager here in America who wears his cap backwards and blasts heavy metal behind the wheel of that car. Just my .02 cents:)
Now the GT40 (or GT I guess it's called) revolving next to it was absolutely pure friggin' DROOL material!:drool: Sits real low like an NSX but has gobs more power:nice: Who knows? Getting a chance to drive in that bad motherf***er around town might even be better than sex!:shrug:
Another highlight of the show was the new V10 Lamborghini Gallardo. The V12 Murcielago there seemed like a boat in comparison. Ferrari's display kinda sucked. You couldn't even get close to their cars really. There was however a Maserati Cambriosa V8 motor sitting out on a stand where you could touch, feel, and really get a good look at probably the most beautiful looking engine there. It was a pretty good show overall IMO.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah replace the heavy metal with blarring alternative or hip hop.

Although I do have to disagree on the younger folks not wanting to hop behind the wheel of one. When I was there earlier today young and old alike where all over the car. I saw more people my age and younger looking at the Stang than people looking at the SRT-4(all of one person lol) the EVO VIII(3 people) and the STI(a whole ZERO). There were more young people checking out the RX-8 and the Audi TTs than the other cars you'd think the younger generation would be intrested in. Although I did notice all the HAWT HAWT HAWT girls were all hanging around the Porsche area. Lots of eye candy was to be seen today...with lots of them bending over to look at stuff I was in heaven between them and the cars. :D

Obviously, I liked the car or I wouldn't have posted pictures...haha. I have thought the car seemed a bit long (in the rear) and it might be hard to envision it without a wing on the rear decklid (but I'd like to see it w/o a wing). The older 60's Mustangs were short in the front and long in the rear...so it looks quite similar (to give it that retro look).

I must say that IMO the interior is one of my favorite things about the car. :hail2:

There were a lot of classic Stangs at the show. Ford should have gotten a few 65s and displayed them along side the 05. Just so folks could get a good appreciation of all the styling cues and to also realize it isn't an exact copy.

Yep ...your right .... Ford ought to kill the entire program right now because you didn't like it.

Who really cares what the other 179,999 people that will buy one thinks.

Thanks for your opinion anyway.

Wylde said:
You mean long in front and short in the rear...that's the way my 68 was as far as I am concerned, and the 05 is very reminiscant to that.

My bad...I should have clarified that I was thinking of the ol' fastbacks in particular when I typed that. I shouldn't have included all of the '60s Mustangs.