dam alternator wont charge

happydood2

Apr 4, 2004
MA
I recently jusyt finished installing my new forged ported cammed pi 2v engine w p51 intake and i finally fired it up today. The problem is my alternator isnt charging the battery. I checked everything. The main wire is bolted up and the plug with the two wires is on. I have a electric water pump that i also wired to one of the two wires on the clip. One wire is constant power and the other goes on with the turn of the key which is the one i connected into. The funny thing is the wires work because without it plugged into the alternator i turn the key and the power goes to the waterpump and on it goes. But when the key is still turned and the waterpump is on i take the clip with the two wires and plug it into the alternator and bam both wires are dead until i shut the car off and unplug it and then turn the key on again. What is my problem here. Do i need a new alternator? I am stumped

• Sponsors (?)

the grey plug that goes into the alternator with 2 wires. All grounds are identical when i installed my motor and harness again. I used my girlfriend 04 gt as a map

Your alternator needs the following to charge:

(1) good connection to the + post on the battery and a solid ground;

(2) good battery (not one sitting at 10 volts or something, but a full 12.5+ volts)

(3) a + voltage on that grey connector, so you can't tap into that to run something else, as you will probably lower the current enough that the alternator's regulator will be greatly confused and not charge.

Find another place to hook crap up to, the alternator connections are privileged and need to be left alone when you are thinking about a high-current device like an electric water pump.

That is likely what is keeping you from charging...

The yellow/white wire to the clip/connector is power to the voltage regulator and is fused with a 20A fuse. If that fuse (marked "ALT") blows, the alternator will not charge. The green/red wire goes to the instrument panel charge bulb, and should not be used for anything else.

Was this alternator transferred from your old engine where it worked OK?