Damage To Aluminum Heads...opinions?

redneck15431

May 13, 2006
I am in the process of installing brand new Twisted Wedge heads. Due to a bad day yesterday and butter fingers, there was some damage done to one of the heads. I am not happy with myself over it, but things happen...and I'm hoping it's not too bad. The scratches are minor, but you can slightly catch a fingernail on them. And upon removal of the head the second time, one end slipped from my oily hands and landed on an edge of the block. Attached are pics..please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4950.JPG
    IMG_4950.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_4951.JPG
    IMG_4951.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_4952.JPG
    IMG_4952.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_4953.JPG
    IMG_4953.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_4955.JPG
    IMG_4955.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Sponsors (?)

the damage is minor, and easily repaired. for the head gasket surface, take a large file and run it across the head surface until the scratches are gone. with aluminum you want a fine tooth file and clean it often, and dont forget the WD40 to spray the head down for lube and cleaning. you can use some machinists blue on the head surface as a guide for how far to file the head. when you can draw the file across the head surface and all the blue is gone, you are done.

If you have not done the kind of work that @rbohm is talking about, it may be worth the expense of getting it done at a machine shop. Grinding too deeply into a gasket surface can cause some undesired results. :(

Like the others have said, this is very minor damage. If you don't feel confident enough to dress them with a file let the machine shop do it but either way its no biggie!

Awesome video!! Thanks for the replies! I am getting it taken care of. This is my first experience with aluminum heads, didn't realize how delicate they really are. I am used to the cast iron heads. I will definitely be more careful; can't wait to get my engine back together!

Awesome video!! Thanks for the replies! I am getting it taken care of. This is my first experience with aluminum heads, didn't realize how delicate they really are. I am used to the cast iron heads. I will definitely be more careful; can't wait to get my engine back together!

this is why i specified a fine file and cleaning it often. and also why i recommended coating the surface with machinist blue dye to guide your way. if you decide to do this, take your time and definitely use the machinist blue dye as a guide.