Damaged Driveshaft Questions

Dark_Pony94

Sep 20, 2006
Hey guys I have a couple quick questions. I have an aluminum driveshaft that I took off my Mustang before I sold it. It had rubbed up against the ebrake bracket and has a gouge in it. I took a set of calipers to it and its roughly .02 inches deep. Is it worth selling or should I just scrap it?

• Sponsors (?)

Leave that decision up to the buyer.
Just show them the gouge, and if they want it, they'll buy it.
You might have to sell it at a discount, but it will still bring ALOT more than scrap price.
You'll get .50c a pound for it scrap, and that is only if you have it down to clean aluminum (all non-aluminum parts stripped off).
Assuming the 16# rating of the shaft is the weight without any parts on it, and I doubt it, but just assuming there is 16# of bare aluminum there, you'll get $8 for it scrap. I bet you'd have a line of folks willing to give you $50 for it, knowing full well it is gouged.
I would set the selling price at $100, and tell folks the price is low because of the 'damage', and see what happens.
If it doesn't sell quick enough, put an "OBO" behind the price and entertain offers.

Someone could always have the gouge TIG'd up with aluminum if it bothered them.

It can be repaired, so it's definately worth money. I bought my aluminum driveshaft for $50 because it was out of balance. $35 for a balance job and it's still on the car 14 years later.

Kurt

Hey guys I have a couple quick questions. I have an aluminum driveshaft that I took off my Mustang before I sold it. It had rubbed up against the ebrake bracket and has a gouge in it. I took a set of calipers to it and its roughly .02 inches deep. Is it worth selling or should I just scrap it?

Keep it and have that gouge repaired. Aluminum has a relatively low melting point so it's easy to weld.