Dammit

charlesw6954

Founding Member
May 3, 2002
Mo
i just checked timing and its perfect, got the coil tested its in good condition, new plugs, new wires, new rotor/cap, new o2 sensors, and new tps.

still have the sputtering problem.

so i checked all the ignition/timing so i am going to check the fuel delivery.

• Sponsors (?)

two suggestions.

there's this "tool" called an injector probe. Its a metal rod that you touch to the injector and it picks up the vibration when the injector opens and the device lights up and beeps each time the injector pulses. That might be useful for you.

Another thing. I had the same problem in my car.. it would sputter like it was running on 6 cylinders. What it ended up being was the Head Gasket was broken in between two cylinders. Do a compression test.. it there's low compression on two cylinders next to each other, then that could be it. I replaced the cap/rotor/wires before i thought of this..

good luck

well could i take each injector out and test it like that?

i am also doing a efi-carb conversion so while im at it i will replace the head gasket but right now i just want to get it fixed so i can start a new job.

Five liter mustang if the compression is low wouldnt i loose some power? because i havent loss any power. i can still leave it in 2nd and punch it and loose traction

oh yes i forgot the engine has about 150,000 miles on it so yea... the injectors might be bad i dont know

oh yea i forgot something again after i re-read your message (five liter mustang) its not sputtering like its running on 6 cylinders. it sputters once not over and over again where it makes it totaly not run able. it doesnt sputter when its just at idle it only does it when i give some sort of gas and i am in gear. i can take it outta gear and just rev it and nothing. now if i do it in gear yes it will sputter maybe 2-3 times if i go thru 3 or 4 gears.

Charles, i havent followed all of your threads (i recall a few). while using a noid light or other tools to check injector pulse works, one generally has to pull the upper.

another idea:while running computer codes, do the balance test. it will cycle each injector and tell you what injector is not firing properly, if any. if it finds one, it retests them in different ways to confirm the injector is not working to specs. good test.

hey hissin your other idea seems more relastic to me because i dont have money to spend on new gaskets. does those expensive good computer readers all do that fuel injector test? if so i could rent it from orielys and do the test and any other friggin test i need to.

charlesw6954 said:
hey hissin your other idea seems more relastic to me because i dont have money to spend on new gaskets. does those expensive good computer readers all do that fuel injector test? if so i could rent it from orielys and do the test and any other friggin test i need to.
Charles, all you need is a 20- 30 dollar code scanner. im pretty sure you can do it for free with one of jrichker's sites for pulling codes too. im lazy and find it easy to use the scanner since it beeps, so i can do other stuff and listen for beeps. ill see if i can find his sites and post them. or if you have access to a scanner from a parts store, etc, that will work. my book outlines the KOEO test, then KOER test, then one or two others and then the "balance" test. i did it when i had a miss and it found #2 injector was amiss (pun intended). its cool, cuz as you do it, if it finds something, you redo the test and it retests the injector in a different way (up to 3 ways, IIRC). works well. BTW, all i think you would need to use a noid light is a new plenum gasket (upper to lower). i think you could finagle the upper assembly around (leaving the throttle body etc attached to the upper) to get to all the injectors.BTW, people have said the noid light is not so great though (ive never used one). i like the computer test. ill see if i can get the search thing to work and post some code sites.
good luck.