Damn It...

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by sen2two, Feb 20, 2014.

1. sen2two

sen2two Active Member

DSCN0438.JPG DSCN0440.JPG I finally got around to doing my 3.73 swap and after breaking down the explorer rear for the ring and pinion, and then the fox 8.8 to swap them over, I noticed the differential in the fox rear had rust on the spider gears!

This was a spare rear I had sitting in the garage for a while, but it has oil in it and I did not expect this... I first thought about soaking it in all kinds pof stuff and trying to save it. But I think it's just not worth it. Unless some old school guy here has a way to get it done...?

So now i am on the hunt for a differential. I thought about just using the one in my fox. But it's my daily driver and I can't have any unwanted hold ups like this. Plus, the chassis has over 350k miles on it. And I am sure the rear has never been touched.

2. Noobz347

Noobz347 Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
    Admin Dude

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Disassemble it, wire brush it, put it all back together and ride on my friend.

3. sen2two

sen2two Active Member

That's what I was thinking, but I am unsure if there is any pitting, And I am doubting the clutches are any good...

4. 84Ttop

84Ttop They make new pistons every day, so why worry?
    SN Certified Technician Mod Dude

Showcase:
    Albums:
    I would do as noobz says. Clean them up and rock and roll. Add some new clutches and you are good as new!