Dangerous Problem - accel sticks

mustang_65

Founding Member
Jul 15, 1999
Los Angeles
This should be so simple to fix. There's nothing complicated about a '65 accelerator linkage, but I can't figure out what's going on. When I drive forward at an easy speed from idle, like when the light turns green or I'm pulling out of a parking lot, the gas sticks and the engine revs, and I have to hit the brake and pop the trans into neutral fast. There's nothing obvious in the linkage that could be causing this. If anyone has experienced this and figured out a cause, I'd like to hear about it.

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like a broken motor mount to me. had the same problem with my 70 falcon, and my 64 falcon as well. when you accelerate the engine torques over more than it is supposed to, and when that happens the engine accelerates,a dn keeps the engine torqued over untill you kill the load by putting the tran in neutral. the left mount is the problem, but replace both since you are there.

mustang_65 said:
This should be so simple to fix. There's nothing complicated about a '65 accelerator linkage, but I can't figure out what's going on. When I drive forward at an easy speed from idle, like when the light turns green or I'm pulling out of a parking lot, the gas sticks and the engine revs, and I have to hit the brake and pop the trans into neutral fast. There's nothing obvious in the linkage that could be causing this. If anyone has experienced this and figured out a cause, I'd like to hear about it.

Check the shaft bushings and linkage connections for wear.
a little dab of grease or a stronger return spring may be all you need.

PB

I had a 95 SHO , the throttle stuck on a freeway on my wife,,took her down I77 in NC at full bore until she sideswiped another car and spun out. She couldnt get it into neutral while it was going either. I had a brainfart and had Ford look into it,,Im sure they replaced the faulty part, because the report said" floor mat stuck on top of accelerator , everything fine and jim dandy". The anti-lawsuit angle.. She made me sell it. Id think your 65 would be much simpler than that SHO, just wanted to yak my story about throttle sticking. If yours keeps sticking, hit it with a rock. That always fixed whatever ailed my Fords. Simple cars, simple repairs.