DANICA PATRICK.....Nothing will be the same again!

sacha said:
(sigh) someone seems a tad insecure and threatened by women and midgets.

as a 6'3", 240lb male, i have no trouble admitting that women and midgets are more suited to be fighter pilots than I am. i'm not an expert - my opinion is simply based on what i saw on the discovery channel. the navy/air force people simply said that females better are better candidates to be fighter pilots because they're bodies are better for absorbing G-force because they're smaller. since TV has never lied to me before, i'm sticking with that opinion. and haven't you seen topgun? tom cruise is like 5'2" and was the best pilot in the entire navy.

and to get back to the point of this whole thread, Danica Patrick is an impressive race car driver and she is not an exception to a rule. she's simply one of the first to break through a barrier. i think it's safe to expect many more female drivers over the next few years.

I gave you the facts, you can look them up yourself if you choose... or you can continue to believe what the Discovery Channel tells you. :nice:

As for being threatened by women and midgets (??), I have no idea why you would say that. You were wrong and I was trying to correct you, but apprently you don't want to listen. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

One of the best 500s I've seen for years. The kid had a heck of a race, and she handled herself well. Woman or man, she's a fine driver. If she keeps performing as she did on Sunday, she could become of the biggest stars this sport has ever produced.

And, yes, it doesn't hurt that she pegs the cute meter. ;)

Regarding G forces, the reason you see so many short fighter pilots is because smaller cockpits mean better aerodynamics. Factors like training, conditioning, and nutrition dictate a pilot's ability to withstand G forces.

The media went over the top with her. She tried not to mention the fact she is a women during the interview at the end of the race. I got to the point that I did not want her to win just because of the media. We would never stop hearing about it if she won. She is a rookie race car driver that happens to be a female...let it go.

Jenns05Stang said:
I knew this would come up. :nonono: I guess she should go back to the kitchen where she belongs. Damn small woman driver. I hope she straps on weighted diving belts when she races next. :lol:

So, out of 26 cars in the final laps her light weight allowed her to pull out of a tire rub at 224 MPH and allowed her to hold her own? I will agree that her weight aided her MPH, but the woman is a skilled racer at 23. Hands down.

I guess that we can attribute all of Jeff Gordon's wins to his skinny azse. Wow, I feel better, I can call Tony Stewart's peeps and tell them to have him starve himself and hack his legs off, then maybe he can get some wins over Gordon....

Jenn

It's simple physics

gp001 said:
OK, it's late and I just got home after driving 250 miles, but here goes:
Since the reultant force due to g's is proportional to (mass times g) a persons weight, or size, has nothing to do with how they are affected by g force. A more massive person will have a larger resultant force, but it is still proportional. A person's overall condition has everything to do with how a person is affected by g force. There was an excellent article done a few years back when CART cancelled the race at Texas Motor Speedway due to drivers almost blacking out from the g forces. The article discussed air force studies into gs as well

Would females have a harder time with G forces because most of their body weight is from the waist down? You know, blood to the brain

Alamo said:
The media went over the top with her. She tried not to mention the fact she is a women during the interview at the end of the race. I got to the point that I did not want her to win just because of the media. We would never stop hearing about it if she won. She is a rookie race car driver that happens to be a female...let it go.

Thankyou!

:OT: So, did you sell your car yet?

Alamo said:
Would females have a harder time with G forces because most of their body weight is from the waist down? You know, blood to the brain

Actually, most everyone here is very wrong on the assumptions of G-Force. Men and women react differently to g-forces. NASA has done numerous studies on this. Actually, given similar levels of conditioning (cardio, not necessarilly muscle mass), women tend to handle severe G's over an extended period of time better than men. (FAA and NASA agree on this point)

Now, taller people DO have more trouble handling G forces than shorter people generally speaking. It is due to the longer distances that the blood has to travel AND torque applied to joints. (longer lever = more effective torque)

The idea that you have to have a large amount of muscle mass to withstand G's is not consistent with casual observation. Military pilots have strict weight as well as size requirements. Many of the best race car drivers are skinny....... and so on. You do have to be very fit and have excellent muscle tone.

Still, she is a great driver with a great future ahead of her, regardless of her sex.

I am glad she did as well as she did, the fact that we are even going over it though is a little out of whack... I mean if it didnt matter that she was a female, then why arent we talking about 3rd place, 2nd place, etc... It's good to see women competing as they should be if they are interested. On that note though, special treatment is not fair either. In a perfect world, everyone would be graded on merit, not what was between their legs, etc... Unfortunately, no perfect world...

If we are going to try to cry about 100lbs or not fareness, why? They ran the race with the rules provided, dont like it, dont race. Someone else will...

The whole 100lbs thing is ridiculous... We could start crying about how much easier it is for men to get a sponsor, or how much more cute one driver is over another in getting corporate product deals and media time, the list goes on and on in differences. What it all comes down to is that when the cars are considerably equal, and the drivers, support teams, road conditions, luck, etc aren't. Well, then that is what a win will come down to. In this case, she didnt win, but is proving her abilities to race are certainly there...

Like mentioned above, she is racing well, let it go... Good work for her... No unfairness in weight is going on here... If so, blame your parents or do something about your weight you tub'o!!! :)

I was at the race. I saw her stall, spin out on the restart, etc. and she kept dropping back but she made her way back up every time. And Just so everyone putting her down knows, about every person at that race was cheering for her every lap she flew by. And thanks to her, the amount of people that watched the 500 on tv went up 40% from last year. So theres always gonna be people talking about her weight (even robby gordon bitchd out and said he'll never race IRL if IRL doesnt make weight rules. (which they said they would not do after his comment anyways).

Mickey21 said:
If we are going to try to cry about 100lbs or not fareness, why? They ran the race with the rules provided, dont like it, dont race. Someone else will...

The discussion of whether to weigh a race car with or without the driver has been kicking around for 40 years, long before Danica was born.

I believe that Indy cars have a minimum weight of 1500 lb. So with a 100 lb driver they weigh 1600 lb and with a 250 lb driver 1750 lb. That is a 9% difference which is significant. Imagine dropping 9% of the weight off your 2005 Mustang GT - 310 lb less is significant.

NASCAR cup cars weigh about 3300 lb empty so the difference between a 100 lb and a 250 lb driver is only 4%, far less significant.

I used to follow F1 racing, but haven't for several years. The last I followed it they were switching over to weighing the cars with the driver to eliminate the advantate of light drivers. F1 cars are even lighter, I think only around 1200 lb empty.

However, F1, Indy and similar open wheel cars are too small for almost any driver over 6' tall and over 180 lb. Most of the top male drivers in Indy cars and F1 are under 6' and weigh only around 150 lb. So the argument is sort of moot until the rules are changed so the cars must to be able to seat a "big" man.

No one ever said life is fair. If you are 6'6"' tall and weigh 300 lb. you need to be looking for a make a career in the NFL or WWE and not in Indy cars or F1.

I think we should have 'fairness' in pro sports in general

Football: The average weight diaparity of components lines should determine the handicap.

Basketball: Use average heigth

Horse Racing: reverse the weight thing

Equity in Sports.... Global Peace and and end to Global Warming are next on my list. :bang:

05Stangster said:
Global Warming? Is that when you drink too much Tequila and your head gets hot? Or is it when you pass gas?

Both actually... human beings give off a lot of heat. If we just eliminate them altogether global warming will be solved. (I know this is true, I saw it in Terminator 3)

vacooley said:
Both actually... human beings give off a lot of heat. If we just eliminate them altogether global warming will be solved. (I know this is true, I saw it in Terminator 3)

Some EnvironMENTAL group was talking about because of man's cattle build up, cow farts are also causing global warming. What, buffalos don't fart? :confused:

Hey all I'll say is she is welcome in my clubhose anytime :) .

Reminds me of when Angelle showed up to play Prostock Bike racer. Bikes had to weigh a certain weight with rider based on engine size and type, usually around 650lbs. Angelle had the advantage of being 40 - 50 lbs lighter than the already small guys that were riding. Her crew chief George Bryce (1 smart dude) used that advantage to move weight around the bike where needed so that should could out short time anyone. The disadvantage was as a small woman she gave up about 40% muscle mass to the guys that is sometimes need to get the bike under control if it were to get out of the groove.

Robbie should have bit his tounge and welcomed the new talent that was bringing much needed exposure to his livelyhood. Danica is badass, lord help them when she gets more experience under her belt.