Dart or R-Block?

Wknd_Warrior

TunaMan
Founding Member
Jan 31, 2000
New Jersey
I am going to be ordering a new engine soon... just wondering if anyone has any comments one way or the other...Dart or R.

I am looking for a 331 around 10.5 compression... forged components. Its a Street/Strip car. Probably make in the vicinity of 5-600 hp.

Also, anyone have any suggestions on where to buy one?

Cracked my DSS 306 block two weeks ago... looking to upgrade.

Thanks,

John

• Sponsors (?)

Dart block, saw a side by side comparo at my machinists. Dart has better oiling, and is also 4 bolt main on all 5, not just the center 3 like the r. Less machine work also with the dart block. The r comes with nodular iron main caps too i believe, dart is billet steel caps. Good luck with the purchase. Summit sells both dart and FMSl. Rick91GT can also get you the dart stuff.
mike.

DART all the way, much better block, a lot less machining.

John I can build you a DART block with what ever parts you need if interested. Give me a shout 717-630-0606 anytime after 7:00pm I'll be in the shop all night. Be nice to catch up....

I agree with everyone else so far. The Dart block is better.

A 4.125 bore, 3.25 stroke engine is 347. Funny. Add the 3.5 stroke and the 4.185" bore (both the max recommended by Dart) the Dart block can take and you get 385 inches in the 302 package. OMG!!!!

tjm73 said:
I agree with everyone else so far. The Dart block is better.

A 4.125 bore, 3.25 stroke engine is 347. Funny. Add the 3.5 stroke and the 4.185" bore (both the max recommended by Dart) the Dart block can take and you get 385 inches in the 302 package. OMG!!!!

I'm in the process of doing a 8.2 deck, 3.4 stroke, 4.125 bore for a Stangnetter right now, 364ci!

5.0 HOtrain said:
WHY..................did I give you props when I knew all along you would come in and spam yourself up anyway :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:
LOL, j/k Rick :D

I figured since you mentioned me I would post :D, I ended up with the same fuel system as you on the 408, and a seperate on for the N2O side. Hope to get it to the dyno next week once it comes back from by buddy who is hand fabbing custom 3" X-pipe and cat back w/ Borla XS mufflers. So did you ever install the TQ plates?

SPEED FREAK said:
OH OH OH i believe world products came out with a block with extra head bolts... Several manufacturers are making heads as we speak to take advantage. Might be a better alternative.

BUT..................as of right now, isnt world products themselves the only ones with the heads for their own blocks? LOTS-O-BETTER heads out there.

Mike, Blue Thunder makes a head also, I've seen the World block and would still pick a DART over it.

Dtowncats, I am in Hanover about 30mins West of York. I can help you when ever you are ready ;)

TheShagg said:
You sure that the holes don't line up with the original heads? (except for the extra ones of course)

Yes the standard 10 bolts line up, it is just to take advantage of the extra bolts like a Chevy you would need a special Ford head. At this time the choice are very few.

Well the DART head has not really been released as far as I know, and to have a set of Blue Thunders ported and set up cost a fortune $5000+ they are bare castings to start with. You also do not run a BLue Thunder head on your run of the mill street car. I find the WORLD blocks are not near as hard as the DARTS I have had contact with and I still like certain design aspects better.

Just my opinion...

Dtowncats said:
Rick, do you know a guy in Hanover by the name of Jeff Dixon? I heard from my dad's friend he has a pretty serious Mustang and is well known around that area. Just wondering.

Yes I know who Jeff is, he has always had a serious mustang, N2O is his favorite...