Dash harness?

88MonsterLX

Jan 9, 2011
memphis tn
hey guys, im new here to the site, i just purchased an 88 lx hatch with some wiring issues. The guy who had the car had installed an electric fan improperly and toasted some wires right at the fuse panel, my question is how difficult is it to install a new dash harness? i just got another harness but i wasnt sure if i needed to actually pull the dash out or if there was and easier way?

Also my car has electric windows and the dash harness i bought came out of a car with manual windows, will this matter? thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

You definitely need to pull the dash to replace the harness. It's not hard to remove the old harness once the dash is out.

As far as the power windows, you will probably need to pull that portion out of your existing harness and re-install it in the car once you get the new harness in. An electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual will be your best friend for something like this.

but it does plug into the dash fuse panel at some point right? wich would mean i would have to do what RacEoHolic330 was saying and incorperate it into my new dash harness wich came out of a manual window car but the same year?

Yes. The passenger side wires are ran under the windshield, and the harnesses from both doors meet near the driver side kick panel. You will have to isolate that section of wires and yank them out of the fuse panel. I'm completely re-wiring my car right now, and the wires for the locks and windows are the only circuit that I'm not touching because it is somewhat isolated from the rest of the car's wiring. Not to mention, the wiring is somewhat complex, so it's not something I'd prefer to wire from scratch.

oh ok i think im following you now, sorry im a real hands on guys and i havent even had a chance to touch my mustang since i just bought it not to long ago. So basically your just gonna de-pin the window and power lock curciuts from the fuse panel and re-pin into the new one in the same spot?

PM me your email address and I will send you a complete Ford Factory 89 Mustang electrical diagram set. The zip file is 2.5 MB and is too big to fit through Stangnet's email gateway. The 89 wiring diagram will be the same as the 88 except for the EFI and computer circuits.

89 Mustang wiring diagrams zip package–

They are in a zip file format to reduce the size of the package. You’ll need WinZip or other Windows archive tool to extract them from the zip file. See MajorGeeks.com - Download Freeware and Shareware Computer Utilities. for a free download.

You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions

hey jrichker thanks for the diagrahm thats gonna be a big help, and thank you capri also i like actually being able to see pics of what i got ahead of me so i know what i need to disconnect befor hand not to damage things further.

well i got my dash and harness out tonight....... HOLY HELL!!! what a freakin job! i didnt know it ran into the engine bay either, i wasnt exspecting what i found lol theres like 4 or eletronic boxes that the harness plugged into that i have know freakin idea what they are, if anyone has anymore pics of dash harnesses or removed dashes that would be awesome, thanks.

i thought i might have some better pics than this, but heres my 89 about a year ago when i had to replace virtually ALL the interior harnesses because of a shorted out seat track :(

Picture001.jpg

the harness youre looking for is the thin one thats left just below the windshield with all those white clips and wraps down the front door jambs on either side. iirc, it does NOT run into the bay at all, but the main dash harness does, and they plug into each other in the drivers side kick panel. the crossover harness also hooks up with the under-seat harness in the passenger side panel iirc (i know theres connections from both in there anyway). the eec is also in that passenger kick panel, and its harness runs into the bay (obviously).

hey chuckman thanks for the pics man. im actually replacing the main dash harness, i got it out last night and damn was it fun....NOT!! LOL but it wasnt to bad either, just a **** load of wire bundled up in the driver side corner area. ill post my pic in a min it kinda ****y though.