Dash Rattle

• Sponsors (?)

If by "rattle" we're talking the squeeking/grinding noise, add me to the list. Sounded like a rubbing spring at first and had me concerned, but then something made me think it was the dash and sure enough, I gave it a tug and push on the drivers side and that was the noise.

That aside (and the missing locking lug key, f'd up gas tank, skipping Shaker 500) my car is still going strong.

Hey guys I have had these types of rattles as well, most seem to be coming from the dash area, but I had the dealer look at the interior molding that runs along the headliner to the dash next to the window. When they removed it they where able to find either clips not attached or re-routing of the wires inside that and the rattles went away. You might want to give that a try before looking into the glove box area for the problem. This is covered with no charge.

:bang: I had mine fixed at the dealer, and the noise still came back after riding on rough roads. I bet this wouldn't be a problem if the plastic interior pieces had vinyl covering or something to dull the noise (dynomat concept). I had a 1992 corrado VR6 that never had a rattle after 10 years. plastic was not left so bare. oh well. whatever it takes to keep the car under $30k. oh well. I still love my stang. :flag:

i pulled the upper 1/4 trim in my car. after that, i got a squeek. i checked it out, it was one of the metal clips. it looked fine, but didnt hold tight enough anymore. so i took a little butyl and wrapped the clip-to act as a cushion from metal to metal contact. now, NO squeek. i dont know if this would fix your problem, but its worth a try....

I took my glove compartment off (only 4 screws) and took a look at things. I don't know about everyone's situation, but there are metal clips holding the plastic dash panel that covers the airbag, and the fit isn't the tightest thing on our cars. Wrapping any type of insulating tape between the clips could help. I haven't done this yet, but when I'm driving and I hear the sound, all I have to do is place my hand on the airbag cover panel, and it goes away. So I'm optimistic that placing insulating material such as tape, as bigcat suggested, would hopefully do the trick.

It's too bad so many of us have this problem, but it's not exactly a mechanical defect that Ford technicians have had the opportunity to isolate & provide a solution. Hopefully this forum is enough for us to solve this little 'annoyance'.