Dash Rattle

Discussion in '2005 - 2009 Specific Tech' started by timjimmy, Jul 10, 2013.

1. timjimmy

timjimmy Active Member

I've been getting a weird vibration or rattle coming from inside my 2006 GT's dash for some time, and it's really been starting to drive me crazy. It is only audible at a specific RPM range -- when I idle, in gear, at a stop sign and the transmission slightly slows down the engine. It sounds like it is coming from the center of the dash, behind the radio or climate controls. It has a factory interior, with the exception of a head unit that the dealership installed (yes, they pulled out my 500 watt Shaker disc changer and installed a gaudy, 200 watt, touchscreen DVD player). I'm a little hesitant to start tearing into my dash without a more accurate idea of what the issue is. Anybody experience this?
  2. DrSmith

DrSmith Member

I have had the same rattle off and on, but it has not reached a crisis yet. If I put my hand hard on the dash it stops!
    Sorry not much help.
    Doc
  3. timjimmy

timjimmy Active Member

I just took it on a 2,200 mile road trip, and it is now significantly worse, so I'll be looking into it quite soon.
  4. timjimmy

timjimmy Active Member

Oddly enough, after installing long tubes and a catted x-pipe, it went away. I'm thinking maybe my cats were falling apart on the inside? There wasn't anything on the outside to rattle.