DD Advice - Jeeps

H What 4.6

Jul 29, 2005
So in the past month i sold my 2000 A4 1.8t DD ... sick car handling and interior wise... but expensive to maintain even with doing the work myself..... looking to go back to a jeep... have owned a 1992 cherokee... 1999 GC limited.....

Question is ........ My father is a well known and respected mechanic in the area.... a used car dealer he is friends with has a 2002 Jeep GC 4.7L with 64k Silver on Black.. bit of a rough exterior ..scratches and exterior blemishes for 5.4K or another 2002 black on black 4.0L Inline 6 Limited with a sunroof issue for 5.1K with 102K miles.....

Beyond that..... locally is a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9L with 53k miles for 6.8K obo and im thinking i can pick it up for 6K or under.... through research this is an absolutelyyyy SIIICKKKKK truckk!!!!! .... all my friends tell me this is the best deal to buy this ****t!!!!

What do you all think?

Mustang wise i have a sweet suspension setup ready for install in the garage and I'll be working through school in the summer so the blower is coming b4 next fall :)

and happpy new year!!!

Any ADVICE??????

And i love/bars/taverns/etc....im boozed up right now hahahah :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Here is my take on all this, bieng a fellow Jeeper.

The '02 Grand with the 4.7 would be nice, because the 4.0's in the Grand Cherokee's are a little underpowered. The 4.7's are relativley good engines, and the Jeep as a whole is pretty well built. Only thing I'd be concerned about is the transmission (bieng a Chrysler trans.) and the 4wd components if it is full time 4wd.

From a reliability standpoint the 4.0 Grand Cherokee is the best buy. Everything on the Jeep will fall apart around the engine. Transmission and 4wd system are the things I'd watch out for, again... as the rest of the Jeep is solid.

Now, onto that 5.9 Grand... Those are THE sickest "street" 4x4's (even though they have full time 4wd and do fine offroad) around in my opinion. They got the 5.9 liter engine which is a tourqe monster. They WERE the fastest SUV at the time they came out, and hung onto that title for a few years. There is a big aftermarket for them... check out JeepsUnlimited.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin and look for the "Speed Freaks" section to see what I mean.

The good is the mileage and the price. They are rare, so to find one for that price and mileage if it's in good shape is a good deal IMO. They look great, have a REALLY nice interior, I think they are cool all around.

The downside is gas mileage (good luck seeing the 20mpg mark), and the transmissions and full time 4wd components holding up in the long run.

If I were you, and you could swing the gas mileage I'd go 5.9 hands down and never look back.

I have a '97 Cherokee with almost 180k on it and it is a tank. I've taken it to hell and back and it still runs and drives great. It hasn't been perfectly reliable, but some of that is my fault. However I have never had a problem with the engine, transmission, axles, 4wd, or suspension.

Good luck.

Everyone has there opinions. I love my Grand Cherokee and wouldnt trade it. I have a 2000 Limited with the 4.7. I have 147k miles on mine and it runs like a top. In the 2 years I owned it, other then lifting it and tires, I have put rear brakes, a bat, and a tps and thats all. Before I lifted it and tires, I drove a lot of highway. I would get 20-22 mpg driving back and forth to work. Now I get 18 highway. But besides that I love it. Now with the Limited models, the ac/heat system, the dual climate control has known to have problems. The one reason is the driver sets the temp say at 75, and the pas. puts there at 85. Well it is forcing the system to work two dif. temps and a problem happens sometimes and usually the system will stick and the heat wont work. There are fixes for this. I always keep my climate control at the same temp and never had a problem.

Now, the 5.9's are hard to come by with low miles and nice shape. I dont think they are as comfertable for daily driving, but they are more sought after. As far as fast, they have lots of pep to them, but I think my 4.7 will run agianst any 5.9. But I didnt buy my jeep to race. That being said, that is why I went with the Newer GC with the 4.7. I wouldnt touch the 4.0 strait 6 with a 10 foot pole. You get the same gas milage as the 4.7, ok, dang close, within 1 mpg of each other, and you have NO power. Those motors are great, they last forever for the most part, but the problem is you are moving a big vehicle with a smaller motor. Takes more to move it.

As Im typing this I see burning rubber already posted up his opinion and covered some stuff haha. He likes the 5.9er.....I like the 4.7 for DD duties. I drove many 98 and older GC's before I decided I liked the 99+ Much better!!

I would go for the 02 with low miles if I were you, but then agian, I am not. So best of luck. Like burningrubber said, check out Jeepsunlimited! I learned everything about my GC there!

As Im typing this I see burning rubber already posted up his opinion and covered some stuff haha. He likes the 5.9er.....I like the 4.7 for DD duties. I drove many 98 and older GC's before I decided I liked the 99+ Much better!!

I would go for the 02 with low miles if I were you, but then agian, I am not. So best of luck. Like burningrubber said, check out Jeepsunlimited! I learned everything about my GC there!

Good advice, and yes Jeepsunlimited is a good place... as is Jeepforum...:nice:

Don't get me wrong, I really like the 99+ GC's. I'd LOVE to have an Overland with a 4.7 H.O...:drool:

Same here, but then I remember, the jeep aint a race car :rlaugh: But there has been many of imports that thought it was funny I was trying to mess with them till I whooped them :lol:

Hahaha, yeah. Get the right combo and they are quick for an SUV.

Back in the day when I knew nothing of a decent powered vehicle, I had alot of fun shutting my freinds up with my Cherokee against their V6 Mustangs, Camaros and some Hondas, lol.

Just a few pictures of my 94 Cherokee I bought back in July to push you back to an XJ:D. The 4.0s are one hell of an engine. I here a lot of people complaining about transmission problems and electrical problems in most of the GC.

Picture035-4.jpg

Picture021-2.jpg

Picture028-1.jpg

Attachments

• Picture035-4.jpg
    Picture035-4.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture021-2.jpg
    Picture021-2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Picture028-1.jpg
    Picture028-1.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 68
Just a few pictures of my 94 Cherokee I bought back in July to push you back to an XJ:D. The 4.0s are one hell of an engine. I here a lot of people complaining about transmission problems and electrical problems in most of the GC.

Picture035-4.jpg

Picture021-2.jpg

Picture028-1.jpg

I just watched your video. How tall are you? I have a friend 6'7" and there's no way he can get in the Stang. Pearl02.

Attachments

• Picture035-4.jpg
    Picture035-4.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture021-2.jpg
    Picture021-2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Picture028-1.jpg
    Picture028-1.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 69
I actually have a low opinion of Jeeps. I have driven Grand Cherokees, Wranglers, and Libertys, and was impressed by none of them. I'd never buy a jeep. The special edition liberty was the worst of them all... absolutely useless in snow in 2wd, but if you take the obvious step to put it in part-time-4wd you got about 10 mpg. Crap! BTW this is a newer jeep with a V6.

Not for me at all.

I am not a fan of the Libertys or the new Wranglers much at all, the Commanders are cool but I don't consider them a Jeep... Just a dressed up Durango. Chrysler has done a good job of runining the essense of the Jeep brand name.

Jeeps are a love or hate. They are rough around the edges and fairly primitive depending on what you buy. I won't get rid of mine unless I HAVE to... I plan on driving it into the ground.

Well to give you all an update I'm going to be purchasing the 02 6 cyl tomorrow for $4,900.

Although the 5.9 was definately an awesome truck with tons of power the guy does not want to budge on the price at all and its got some issues (crackling speaker, the rear is whining, will need tires soon, passengers side has about 5 million dings from doors hitting in (blamed it on his kids from in the garage..))

I've owned 2 Jeeps previously, a 92 Cheokee that got totaled by a drunk driver with 146k and I had a 99 GC Limited 6 cyl with 194k on it when i sold it and loved them both.

I know the 6 cyl may be a little under powered but i do not tow with it nor will i be going off-roading. I do not need it for speed or anything either, thats what the mustangs for!! The 6 cylinders are solid as known and are much easier to work on over the v8. So I'll be happy...

Forgot to mention the 02 v8..... After checking it out further the body damage on it is beyond anything i would want to deal with (little dings and scratches but they are everywhere!!)... also you can tell the front fender was hit and repaired with a ****ty paintjob...

The wifeys ride is an 06 Liberty Limited.... I actually like that thing. It is a beast in the snow in 2wd.... We never have any problems with it beside the annoying tire pressure sensors.... :D

It gets 28mpg on the hwy but a terrible 16 or so in town. powered really nice and the fit and finish is ok...not GC quality but hey, its not a GC is it. Great buy for what we paid for it. Its has 50 and we just now put our first set of tires on it and have had no issues at all.