Deal or no deal : 93 Mustang LX roller

Zero_chance

Founding Member
May 29, 2001
Maricopa, AZ
So I've come across the chance to buy a very clean 93 LX hatch. 2.3 4 banger with auto of course. The body is mint, zero rot or rust surprisingly. $650 but there is absolutley zero interior save for the steerring column (no steering wheel) and the guy wants to take the hatch as well. Ill have to get it towed so tack on another 150 (high estimate). So figure around 800 bucks to my shop. The motor is in awesome shape (for a 2.3) so I figure i can sell it and the tranny for maybe 200 bucks as a package. Recoup some of my money. I'm all for it because I now its not easy to find a fox thats in that good of shape for that price... but at the same time I hate spending that much money out of my account. I'm a little torn, and I talked myself out of it once already but now I'm back on the other side of the fence. I have a feeling I'll regret it if I dont. I guess on the plus side, even if I end up not doing anything with it, I'm fairly confident I can sell it for probably more than I paid for it. I just dont want to get in too deep with too many projects. Got a lot of stuff I want to do with the 95 over the winter as well. Decisions, decisions. I have until Friday to decide. What would you guys do? Another downside is I just got the other half of my shop opened back up and now I'll be filling it back up with another long term project...

• Sponsors (?)

Really? Ive never seen a fox roller go for under a grand. At least, not around here. And not one that isn't cancered up underneath. Price isnt set in stone, I'm going to do the final look on Friday, I could always offer something lower. In your opinion, what do you think it would be worth?

I'd go for it. As you said, I think you'd regret it if you pass on it. You've logically surmised that you can sell some parts to recoup a decent portion of the cash you're laying out, so, in the end, you'll be in for, what?, about $700? That's a lot of potential fun for only $700.
What would you plan be for the new car? Street? Strip? AI? A combo? I think a pure strip car could be fun and a bargain. The fact that it has no interior is somewhat of a benefit. (Don't say it has no interior...you should say it has already had some major weight reduction done to it...!)
And as you also said, if it never goes anywhere other than your shop, you could easily get out of it with little or no loss. Heck, you could part it out and probably make money on the deal.
Best of Luck and let us know what you decide!

Price kind of goes back and forth. I've seen running 4 banger cars with straight bodies go for $200. It's worth what you are willing to pay for it though.

Kurt

I suppose it depends on the area. My friend paid 400 for a horrible condition notch 4 banger that was supposed to be a drag project. When he got it to my shop, the subframe was rotted and cracked, the shock towers were rotted through and the fenders were bondo and newspaper. I did another search locally and found an 89 with no interior and a rotted hatch. No motor no trans for 900. Essentially the same boat Id be in (having to replace hatch) except at least with the one I might get, I have a motor and tranny to sell, even if for only a couple hundred. So all in all, I'm pretty happy with the price. If everything checks out on Friday I'll likely be buying it.
As for plans... still up in the air. I'm probably going to sit on it for a while unless I come across some things I need at real good prices. Dont want to have two projects going at the same time. Can't afford to with the new baby. I suppose it will ultimately depend on what I end up doing with my 95.

One thing...

If you get it sans hatch, how concerned are you going to be about having that part match perfectly? If the car is "mint" I doubt you can match it, so you will have to tack on some extra cost there...

That being said, seems the market for "mint" body panels is getting a bit tight...and you already know that the hatches are likely rotted on most of these cars...

Not saying that would be prohibitive form a cost standpoint, but it is something to consider, especially if you are not into doing body work, which I am assuming is the case since you appear to be seeking out a car without body issues...I think your cost is going to be over $1000 by the time you are done even with the money from the engine and tranny...

That being said, buy it. You already said you would regret it if you don't.

By mint body I was actually referring to the undercarriage and shock towers. Thats the most important aspect to me. Sheet metal isnt a problem, I've done body work for years. That's what I did before I got into automotive and still do it at my shop on a regular basis. Already found a hatch in the next town for 75 bucks. Looked at it last night and theres no rot in the usual spots so thats all good. As for looking for cars without body issues, I actually wasnt really even looking for another project at all. Just happened to stumble across this one. Though when I am looking for a car, I wont buy anything rotted out. Theres no winning that battle. At least not on a fox when it comes to a cost to value standpoint. I lost my 88 to the rot battle. Floorpans, roofline where it meets the hatch, rockers, rear quarters, drivers door... Would have spent more to fix it properly than it was worth.

Well if sheet-metal is not the concern for you, buy that beast (or future beast I suppose)...that was really the only thing I thought you didn't address in the original post, and I just wanted to make sure you were at least considering it...for some people, the cost of re-doing a hatch is going to be pretty high because they can't do it in their garage - they are going to be paying someone.

If I had the spot to store it while it awaited re-doing (which it sounds like you do) and the wherewithal to address any potential body issues, I would.

I think Foxes in good condition (that is, capable of being restored or fixed or whatever) are starting to become a pretty rare commodity. At least around me they seem to be. Sure, it is almost always possible to find a perfect specimen or four going for high dollars, but a shell at a reasonable rate that hasn't been abused, degraded, and plain old whooped out is worth grabbing if you have the desire to own one. JMHO.

Clean foxes certainly are a dying breed. Thats why I know I'd kick myself down the road if I didn't jump on this. Definitely got the space for it, so that's not an issue. Tomorrows the day so as long as everythings copacetic on his end, I'll be trailering to her new home at some point this weekend.

I would do it, a solid rust free body will make a great project and getting harder to find. it's not crazy money hell they are going for more in my area and there is more border line cars than solid so chances of coming across another for the same price would be slim.

Guess I shouldnt have gotten my hopes up. Turned out to be a bust.. of sorts. So I go check it out and everything looks good. No hidden issues, nice solid car. Then it comes down to business... and things are a little shady. He had me meet him in the back of some industrial park but wouldnt give me the address until I was already in the area. Then he tried to up the price but I got him to stick to the original terms. Ask if he has the title... and suddenly now he DOESNT have it. His friend has it and the car was his friends but he bought it off him but still owes his friend .... Blah blah blah. Long story short, he wanted the money and then he was gonna go get the title... right. No thanks. Something just wasnt right so I declined. Guess now I can put the money into the car I already have... Oh well, it was nice to think about for a few days.... :rolleyes: Time to plan the winter projects.

yeah, no title no deal for sure.

Price was about right or on the low side if it was in good shape for a roller around here in the STL. Anything above the salt/rust belt in rust free condition commands about 600-1k price depending on how roller it is.

There is a saying if it will pass inspections its worth at least 1k.