Deal or Scam?

moneypit94

May 23, 2003
Macomb, IL
Alright i got another systemax lower for a really good price and i put it on ebay. Well this guy says that he will give me the buy it now price for 200 bucks if i can wait till the end of the month for him.. (i figure payday or something.) I told him maybe and I would get back to him.

This morning he sent me an email asking if i wanted to do an even trade.

Here is the email he sent me and what i sent him back.

Greetings!

Got a question for you. Would you be interested in a Ford Racing GT-40
Manifold. It's unused, Three piece includes the upper and lower manifold
with
the cover plate.
I'm speaking of a trade for your Holley lower intake. You can't lose
with
this trade. Tell me what you think.
Look to hear you.
Thanks!

So i responded with
send me some home pics of the manifold. I hate to say this but this sounds
like a scam. Where are you located? Why don't you just sell it on ebay?

And this is what i got back

Hey Derrick.

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately I don't have a camera or a home -
computer to take a photograph of my piece. This is no scam Derrick. No
catch
either. You may check my feedback my integrity is good. I would be at risk
just as well as you. Besides, dollar wise you would have more to gain than
me. A complete GT-40 intake, never used vs. a Holley Systemax lower
intake.

I made up my mind to do a stock configuration. the Holley would no doubt
meet
my need. Derrick, here is my offer. I will first ship to you the manifold.
If
you like it, send me the Holley Systemax. You only take care of the
shipping
from your end.

We can negotiate this further by phone contact. My day contact number is-
(xxx)xxx-xxxx. evening is (xxx)xxx-xxxx. if you can provide me your
contact
information, I would be happy to call you. Just tell me the best time to
call.

This would be the best way to first negotiate. Look to hear from you.

I gave him my number and he is supposed to call tonight... I can't see how it could be a scam but i can't see how he could give up a new GT40 intake for trade with a systemax 1 lower intake?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds too good to be true to me. However, if hes going to send you the GT40 FIRST, then I don't see why not try. I would definetely check out his ebay feedback and speak with him on the phone. If it seems OK, that would be about the best trade (for you) that I've ever heard of!

if he is sending first, go for it.

There is no real way to detemine if in fact it is a HOT item or not... but anyhow, lets no even speculate that at this moment.

I dont see this as a scam if he is offering to send first.

Just make sure he understand you only have the lower and it only fits a 302... maybe he thinks otherwise? Hence the excitement and anticipation for the trade?

Give him full details so he doesnt cry at the end that it is wrong and wants a trade-back.

I just got off the phone with him. He said he has had the intake in a box for a year. And that he has changed his mind on his setup and wants to go with some new ram air setup that comes in from the hood and that it requires the stock lower intake (sorta like some models of the kenne bell)

He was going to bid on it and then he said that was thinking about it and he needed to get rid the one he's got anyway... I told him that i was really surprised and that i thought it was a lopsided trade.. He said he would have to ask 300 for it and that sometimes you lose out when you change your mind.

Of coarse i didn't try to persuade him differently, but i did warn him...

Here they are.... I can't believe it, He actually sent them for even trade for a systemax1 lower.... :eek:

intake1.JPG

intake2.JPG

intake3.JPG

intake4.JPG

The only thing I could think of is that he got that item "hot" and wanted to trade for something he really wanted with little to no out of pocket cost.

Then again that's just my speculation. The guy might have just got one at a swap meet, realized he didn't want it and wanted to get rid of it real bad.