Death Metal on Discovery

I have been into metal since it began. There has always been the PMRC in music censorship. They only make more noise so more metal heads stand up for their music. As for the gun issue, my last job thought that because I listened to Slayer and many others and have a few tatoo's, that some how I was in a workplace violence state of mind and acused me of having a large collection of firearms. I don't even own "a" gun let alone a large collection. I guess I like metal because it scares people! Move bi*** get out the way! Oh, I get yelled at to slow down all the time just because my Cobra is loud. I guess I should go buy a Buick! Yeah!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

i love metal and its my favorite music. BUT i hate death metal. i think its stupid and lame and for poser hot topic kids. not to mention its completely inaudible. it sounds like noise to me. on one hand im very sick as most metal fans are of ever bad thing that happens with kids being blamed on metal and the music they listen to. but this norwegian death metal crap does not make this any easier when arguing with the pat robertsons of the world. also for anybody that listens to metal that gets branded satanic we got retarded norwegian death metal guys saying that satan tells them to do all these things. get ****ing real, stop doing drugs and wake up. satan isnt real he doesnt tell u to do ****. norway is a boring place and ur depressed lol

nah. all the poser hot topic kids end up listening to disturbed, and nickleback, and other :taco: stuff like that. lol in my high school, i gaurentee i listened to **** ten times harder then any givin "goth kid". the funny thing is that i dress normal, with the occasional button up, not to mention im a ginger ( i have red hair) so i dont really fit the bill of any sort of serial killer. hell, if anything, death metal actually helps relive some of my anger.

**** do you mean, r you a fellow ginger... because if so, we need to make a club and display our involvement in our sig's. may just be the jack daniels talking but hay man, just throwin it oout there.

oh, and anal blast rocks! VERSION 5.0BESE BABY!

no, I'm not a fellow ginger, or a 'ginger fellow', (although I am pasty skinned) I just never heard that term before i thought it was funny. Now I think I like 'ginger fellow' better!!

310stanger said:
i love metal and its my favorite music. BUT i hate death metal. i think its stupid and lame and for poser hot topic kids. not to mention its completely inaudible. it sounds like noise to me.

How much death metal have you listened to? It's not the content, it's the sound. Melodic death showcases some of the best examples of (heavy) guitar prowess around.

Anyone who thinks Death Metal doesn't take talent to play needs to watch this video. I don't care who you are or what you like, if you know anything about music scales and timing that's required to play along with a band, you'll agree that everyone in this band is phenominal. Personally, it's not my style, although i do like the music behind this song. DM is just too much too fast for me, i like some slow melodic and crunchy stuff, and DM is just thrash craziness, but that's what makes it so amazing at the same time.

Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face (yeah lol)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4152432685029935586&q=cannibal+corpse

91lxttrim said:
85 SS you kick ass for posting the BEST DM song ever. He makes the drumming look easy.

You wanna talk about tight, melodic metal listen to this whole song. All should appreciate the chord changes and technical abilities:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3256120439533451182&q=decapitated

Spheres is a good song that takes some talent to play right, Iam sure you have heard some morbid angel drum solos, now thats impressive and iam not even a huge MA fan.

Most DM lead singers (and a lot of the other band members, for that matter) always remind me of a cross between Danzig and Cousin It ... with Cookie Monster's voice, of course. :D

Only thing about all those chord changes n' such is that a lot of them are power chords, and they're thrown together so fast that it'd be kinda hard to tell if they screwed anything up or not, because the distortion is so high. To me, a lot of alternate-picked single notes strung together is way harder than chord changes - more finger and wrist motion involved. But then again, I have a hard time even so much as playing the first few notes to Slayer's "South of Heaven" ... :)

The drum work, I'll agree, is almost superhuman ... although isn't there some kind of a mechanical/electronic pedal assist device to allow for those long runs of consecutive 32nd notes?

Darkwriter77 said:
Most DM lead singers (and a lot of the other band members, for that matter) always remind me of a cross between Danzig and Cousin It ... with Cookie Monster's voice, of course. :D

Only thing about all those chord changes n' such is that a lot of them are power chords, and they're thrown together so fast that it'd be kinda hard to tell if they screwed anything up or not, because the distortion is so high. To me, a lot of alternate-picked single notes strung together is way harder than chord changes - more finger and wrist motion involved. But then again, I have a hard time even so much as playing the first few notes to Slayer's "South of Heaven" ... :)

The drum work, I'll agree, is almost superhuman ... although isn't there some kind of a mechanical/electronic pedal assist device to allow for those long runs of consecutive 32nd notes?

A lot of guys use a double kick pedel linked to one drum...i don't know much about drums but i know that it's pretty serious....kinda like a status thing to play "true double bass" drums and if you're tooling around with tricky pedels then you get made fun of pretty good. A lot of DM fans would just frown on the band and not buy their crap.

Fear Factory is a good band for crazy good drums...not death metal, but the drummer Raymond Harrera is a badass. They actually used to be pretty much DM back in the day but then they got more metalish over the years. The vocals....well, i don't care much for straight forward DM vocals, although again if you call it "just screaming" then you're way off pace. It takes just as strong of vocals to sing that as it does to "sing". Personally i like more of a Hardcore type of vocal....a few bands lately that i can't stop listening to are Haste The Day, Still Remains and As I Lay Dying. They all three are kinda "metalcore" and throw in some good guitaring.

That guy in Through The Eyes Of The Dead has a really broad vocal range. He can straight scream his lungs out and then go straight into DM vocals.

Also....anyone who wants a serious trip through musical craziness of just about every kind, go out and buy Between The Burried And Me's self titled album (piano on the cover). This is some crazy good stuff....the music goes all over the place from muddy DM stuff to true melodic harmony stuff with genuine singing vocals, then back to pure hell hardcore. It's almost too random to listen to and i hated it when i got it but it really grows on you.

Check out Into Eternity for a real cool blend of death/power/melodic metal. They use 3 members to run the vocal lines, and the range is from Halford high to death growls from hell. The guitar work is awesome too. Love, love, love these guys :nice:

IMO, BTBAM is very good but nothing too memorable.

mansonozz said:
Check out Into Eternity for a real cool blend of death/power/melodic metal. They use 3 members to run the vocal lines, and the range is from Halford high to death growls from hell. The guitar work is awesome too. Love, love, love these guys :nice:

IMO, BTBAM is very good but nothing too memorable.

Yeah i agree....but i think that's because you sort of can't memorize how random they are. I saw them live in a tiny little venue where the stage was 1 foot high and the band was right in your face....it was nuts.