december 5.0 magazine sc vs. hci

90mustangGT said:
They did that one before, but it was against a Vortec SC. SC made more power, but they didn't even get 300 to the wheels with the edelbrock system,, at least in the old magzine. They should have it against the TFS system. Keep your stock engine, and just order a hellion kit. It will cost you about the same as both the SC and HCI, probally a little less, but you'll beat the SC and HCI combined car.

I would like to see a competition between a
Tmoss-Thumper combo vs. Edelbrock Combo.

Where can you order a hellion kit? Does that come with all the piping and stuff? How much would it cost to install, or is it just a bolt on system.

• Sponsors (?)

damn thats badasss, seems like its definatly worth the cash, especially if it just bolts in, wish i had the money :) id order one tomorrow! haha

poneypower89 said:
nothing.

I know right?

I run 1 steps cooler on the plugs with a small gap... its been like this for two years and striaght tears the street up... :shrug:

The new 331 WILL be getting a professional dyno tune.

no tuning? just 19 lb injectors and the FMU? how is your A/F ratio? that is absolutely astonishing, and great news for me. maybe a novi 1000 is in my future!

91ghp5.0 said:
no tuning? just 19 lb injectors and the FMU? how is your A/F ratio? that is absolutely astonishing, and great news for me. maybe a novi 1000 is in my future!

AFR? I barrowed an LM-1 from a friend ONCE but that was before I switched out the pulley for the 10lb.

the *tune* everyone on here freak'n mentions at every given oppurtunity is the biggest piece of CRAP i've ever heard. Every time I hear the statement "You must tune it!" I actually get a little angry inside :rolleyes:

The truth is. the stock ECU is NOT THAT BAD. It can accomendate a number of mods before you actually NEED a tune. In my case, its JUST 10psi and exhaust. Im not pushing the type of power to actually NEED a tune.. NOR have a messed with enough stuff to MESS STUFF UP. Yea, you heard that correctly. 8 out of 10 times someone needs a tune is because they simply messed something up themselves. (another reason I didn't go h/c/i. too many things to mess up lol).

Yes, stock 19lb injector.. I DO have a large 225 fuel pump. Yes, the injectors are maxed out. No the car doesn't detonate. No, im not just *lucky*.

Of course, if I do anything else.. yes I will be better off looking for a tune.. but as I sit now.. its been two years boosted.. 36,000 miles. This is my DD and only car. Its never let me down and I dont believe its going to anytime soon (131k miles total)

Forget your fears about a tune. If the engine is stock and all ur doing is boost'n. You CAN get away with an FMU and no tune. Don't push it TOO hard.. stop before you pass 10psi. :p

poneypower89 said:
AFR? I barrowed an LM-1 from a friend ONCE but that was before I switched out the pulley for the 10lb.

the *tune* everyone on here freak'n mentions at every given oppurtunity is the biggest piece of CRAP i've ever heard. Every time I hear the statement "You must tune it!" I actually get a little angry inside :rolleyes:

The truth is. the stock ECU is NOT THAT BAD. It can accomendate a number of mods before you actually NEED a tune. In my case, its JUST 10psi and exhaust. Im not pushing the type of power to actually NEED a tune.. NOR have a messed with enough stuff to MESS STUFF UP. Yea, you heard that correctly. 8 out of 10 times someone needs a tune is because they simply messed something up themselves. (another reason I didn't go h/c/i. too many things to mess up lol).

Yes, stock 19lb injector.. I DO have a large 225 fuel pump. Yes, the injectors are maxed out. No the car doesn't detonate. No, im not just *lucky*.

Of course, if I do anything else.. yes I will be better off looking for a tune.. but as I sit now.. its been two years boosted.. 36,000 miles. This is my DD and only car. Its never let me down and I dont believe its going to anytime soon (131k miles total)

Forget your fears about a tune. If the engine is stock and all ur doing is boost'n. You CAN get away with an FMU and no tune. Don't push it TOO hard.. stop before you pass 10psi. :p

well the engine isnt stock, stock. B cam, and bored to 306 with TRW pistons. so its pretty close to stock. i would only do the stock 5-6 psi of boost, nothing strong. i just want a little more get up and go on the street....anywhere near 300 rwhp would make my giddy inside. whatcha think? this car is my DD too, and i can't afford A) to have the car crap out on me and B) 4k in installation and tuning. if i can pick up the kit for a little over 2k with gauges and a fuel pump, and possibly install it with my families classic 'stang restorer (family friend, and my foxbody guru), that would make me happy inside :D

I have been in this scene for a while now, and poweradder are the best way to do it. With boost or spray, you don't need to worry about things like heads, and even the cam or intake, but instead, the block. You can make enough power to split the stock block, with a stock engine and boost/spray.

90mustang_GT5.0 said:
yeah im either putting the s/c back on or putting the car on the bottle... i havent even thought of turbo as on option... turbos are good for 3000gt and dodge stelth's..

when was the last time you looked into turbo mustangs? because they beat pretty much everything they race*. if i had the cash, i'd be on a hellion kit like white on rice.

*not really, but you get my point.

91ghp5.0 said:
well the engine isnt stock, stock. B cam, and bored to 306 with TRW pistons. so its pretty close to stock. i would only do the stock 5-6 psi of boost, nothing strong. i just want a little more get up and go on the street....anywhere near 300 rwhp would make my giddy inside. whatcha think? this car is my DD too, and i can't afford A) to have the car crap out on me and B) 4k in installation and tuning. if i can pick up the kit for a little over 2k with gauges and a fuel pump, and possibly install it with my families classic 'stang restorer (family friend, and my foxbody guru), that would make me happy inside :D

I'ts completely possible... but no way should u spend 4k on the thing.

2g max. this is for the kit, the new pump, new plugs, and gauge. You should be able to pull 300hp without much effort :rolleyes: If all else fails and you need more assurance then buy a set of 24lb injectors and maf and turn the fmu down. (the e-cam IS more blower friendly than the b-cam also... the stock cam is also a good blower cam. Im not 100% sure how the b-cam would respond)

BTW... I've actually noticed the base Novi 1000 kit just ever so slightly out performs the base Vortech SC-trim.

They are identical in flow and components for the most part. Except the Novi has an aluminum discharge tube where the vortech has a plastic one. I upgraded my sc-trim to an aluminum discharge tube soley for the by-pass valve and LOOKS. (plastic looks so cheap).

edit: 24lb injectors can be found on SEVERAL factory ford cars in the JY.. as well as 30lb.. so if ur on a budget you can ramp up ur fuel system without empty'n the wallet.

poneypower89 said:
I'ts completely possible... but no way should u spend 4k on the thing.

2g max. this is for the kit, the new pump, new plugs, and gauge. You should be able to pull 300hp without much effort :rolleyes: If all else fails and you need more assurance then buy a set of 24lb injectors and maf and turn the fmu down. (the e-cam IS more blower friendly than the b-cam also... the stock cam is also a good blower cam. Im not 100% sure how the b-cam would respond)

BTW... I've actually noticed the base Novi 1000 kit just ever so slightly out performs the base Vortech SC-trim.

They are identical in flow and components for the most part. Except the Novi has an aluminum discharge tube where the vortech has a plastic one. I upgraded my sc-trim to an aluminum discharge tube soley for the by-pass valve and LOOKS. (plastic looks so cheap).

edit: 24lb injectors can be found on SEVERAL factory ford cars in the JY.. as well as 30lb.. so if ur on a budget you can ramp up ur fuel system without empty'n the wallet.

sounds great. do you have an AIM address? if so, would you mind PM'ing it to me? i need sleep..i have class early tomorrow (or this morning technically), but i'd love to discuss it with you more.

the expensive part of the gauges will be boost...i can get the oil pressure in short sweep for 80 bucks or so. 255 fuel pump is 120, kit is 1700, boost gauge is 200 (yikes!, maybe i should go mechanical?), and the gauge pod is 30. i'll even throw down some cash for 24 lb'ers for the safety factor.

edit: i agree about the above comment as well. :D

Was your S/C new when you bought it for 1,700? I am wondering if you got 10PSI off of the $1,700 V1 kit on 50resto.com

Also, i read somewhere that you can't use a blowoff valve with these cars, is there any way you can? Thanks!

DRock9 said:
Was your S/C new when you bought it for 1,700? I am wondering if you got 10PSI off of the $1,700 V1 kit on 50resto.com

Also, i read somewhere that you can't use a blowoff valve with these cars, is there any way you can? Thanks!

SC was brand new.. but was originally a 5-6psi kit.. I swapped out the pulley ($65 bucks) to up the boost.

you CAN use a blow off valve.. but because its a mass-air car you really should use a bypass-valve. Using a blow off valve will cause rich conditions and poor performance (in most cases, SOME have gotten away with it).